Best Second Knife (First one's a Santoku)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbibler

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Last year I bought myself a JCK Gekko 190mm Santoku (http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/Gekko&InazumaVG10DamascusSeries.html). I really enjoy the knife and would like to expand my collection.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the knives within the same family (the JCK Gekko) because I like how they look, I'm happy with the one I've got, and the prices are reasonable. So, I'm choosing between their 140mm Petty and the 165mm Nakiri. I suppose my question to you all is do either of these knives make more sense than the other? Is a Nakiri redundant if I've already got the Santoku?

I use my Santoku every day for pretty much all tasks, though I'd say chopping, slicing, and mincing vegetables is what I do most. I'd love to hear any advice or opinions you all have.

Thanks!

Go for the petty since you have a santoku allready. I would probably buy also a gyuto for mincing, trimming, dicing and cut long veg. 240 mm it s my go to go.
Then a slicer should be your next choice for portion proteins.
Last. Should be a parer knife for small jobs.
😊

There isn't much the nakiri will add, as your santoku will do it just as well. The petty isn't going to add that much either, as it is not tall enough to work well on a board, and a little too long for in-hand work.

My advice is to select your next knife to do something that your santoku doesn't do well. Ask yourself if what you are doing would be easier with a longer or thinner blade, such as slicing a roast, or if you need something shorter to use in-hand, perhaps to trim small vegetables like radishes or such. Then add a sujihiki or paring, respectively.

Of course, if you just want a nakiri or petty for the fun of it, go for it!

I love my Nakiris. They're great if you enjoy chopping vegetables.

I'd also go for a knife for slicing proteins and a paring knife. The order of which would be based on your needs.

55373504.jpg

I'd say the petty extends the santoku better than the nakiri...

@TheOry you are a pro that likely has his workspace perfectly set up (a big board at the right height that you have good access to from all sides), so no one would question you loving your huge gyutos and being great with them :) Not everyone's reality ;)

Back