Quantcast
Nip And Tuck... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nip And Tuck...

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    ER: I've never seen or owned a new Sab so I wouldn't really know what a Sab is "supposed" to be.
    the bolsters are awful, keep grinding that until you can't see it anymore, but you might want to flatten the profile out a bit. take a look at the blades here for reference.

I don't think you mean I want to completely remove the bolster, do you? You just think I should remove the bottom two thirds of it, completely. Those do have a flatter profile toward the heel. Definitely something I considered and it will be a little flatter once I fix the grind near the heel. The problem is the overall profile on this knife is actually flatter. I would have to shorten the knife and remove quite a bit of metal in the heel area to replicate the Sab profile...

i was being a bit hyperbolic (i truly hate the bolsters). i would remove enough that it won't get in the way of sharpening during the likely remaining lifespan of the knife. i think the knife needs a bit of a flat section, at the heel. there really isn't any one Sab profile, but every one of them i've seen or handled has had a flat section.

In school we watched a CIA video on sharpening and in the video they said bolsters are supposed to be ground off to allow for proper sharpening. Just a data point.

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    In school we watched a CIA video on sharpening and in the video they said bolsters are supposed to be ground off to allow for proper sharpening. Just a data point.

-AJ
    the bolsters have to be ground down over the life of the knife.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    There really isn't any one Sab profile, but every one of them i've seen or handled has had a flat section.
    If the flat section has disappeared I think you just should restore it if you're asked to do so. People who are used to German profiles will get their chopping movement to be stopped by it, and won't like it a lot.

Well done, especially the handle. There are many Sabatiers, it's like the Sakai of France. My folks have a set, and the profiles are very different from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    ...I think you just should restore it if you're asked to do so...
    There's the rub. Every time I ask about preferences, he defers to whatever I "think would be good."

As the knife has undergone a lot of transformations before it has arrived to you, I guess we don't have to worry about authenticity. So, does the guy know and use the specific technique the flat section was intended for? If not there is no advantage in rebuilding the flat section.

It's hard to say. He doesn't seem to be too familiar with knife related terms in general but I'll ask him and see what he says.

+ Reply to Thread