Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic press more dangerous than power hammer?

Question Hydraulic press more dangerous than power hammer?

I've been considering building either a power hammer or a hydraulic press.

I was looking at the amazon preview of a book by Bladesmithing with Murray Carter: Modern Application of Traditional Techniques and he surprised me with the assertion that a press is much more dangerous than a power hammer, talking about severely deformed hands and fingers. But he doesn't give any details of how it ends up being so much more dangerous.

On first glance this is hard to understand. From what I gather, you're feeding your billet into the machine by a welded rebar that's being held by a pair of tongs much like you would to a power hammer. How do your hands get munched?

I like the idea of a press a lot because it'd be quieter and I'd be using it in a residential neighborhood. It also looks to take less room in the shop from what I gather, which is a big plus as space is at a premium.

Experienced thoughts and guidance on this would be much appreciated!

That carter guy is like the dwight schrute of bladesmiths.

I'm not really familiar with the series, but I gather by watching a bit of it on youtube that the reference means he's a bit of a try-hard buffoon?

Shall I then assume that you were saying his idea about the relative danger of presses is um...not the best possible advice?

Just get two of each, and a rolling mill to be sure

Hah! My neighbor likes me, but I'm guessing she'll think a bit less of me when I knock the wall out between our garages to make room for all that.

Hydraulic press has lot smaller footprint than a powerhammer and lot easier to install too , just saying

Quote Originally Posted by chefcomesback View Post
    Hydraulic press has lot smaller footprint than a powerhammer and lot easier to install too , just saying
    Yeah, that was the impression I was getting. Thanks for the verification.

Is there any truth at all to this "more dangerous" bit? I'm no nervous Nelly about power tools, but if there's some additional danger I'd want to know about it so I can work safely and avoid unnecessary carnage. (I will, of course, be doing quite a bit more reading on design and use during the building process.)

Pretty sure you put any part of you in either of those things the result aint good.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    Yeah, that was the impression I was getting. Thanks for the verification.

Is there any truth at all to this "more dangerous" bit? I'm no nervous Nelly about power tools, but if there's some additional danger I'd want to know about it so I can work safely and avoid unnecessary carnage. (I will, of course, be doing quite a bit more reading on design and use during the building process.)
    Personally I think the danger is more about human behaviour of getting too comfortable and used to things to ignore the dangers of it , I find powerhammer more to be dangerous, if
    You fall and hit the pedal it will keep
    Hitting until the pedal is lifted , you will pray none of your body parts are on the anvil
    Most presses have an inch or two moving rate per second and they are usually placed higher . In another words don't believe in anything you read

Quote Originally Posted by chefcomesback View Post
    Personally I think the danger is more about human behaviour of getting too comfortable and used to things to ignore the dangers of it , I find powerhammer more to be dangerous, if
    You fall and hit the pedal it will keep
    Hitting until the pedal is lifted , you will pray none of your body parts are on the anvil
    Most presses have an inch or two moving rate per second and they are usually placed higher . In another words don't believe in anything you read
    Makes sense. Thank you.