Don't cut and turn.... (gross content inside)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just sharpened the knife and finishied it on Naniwa 10k. Next day I am making a hash and as I am slicing onions, I hear potatoes 'whister' in the pan, I turn to look and continue to cut... Here is the result - left ring finger...

So, ya, don't turn and cut...

IMG_1990.jpg

ouch.. I hate cuts on my nails... they hurt the most and take the longest to heal...

Took off the same nail from the quick forward once, that odd cold pain in the finger takes forever to go away.

those are the worst cuts, the problem with them isn't so much the pain but the loss of coordination you experience... well at least I did. I guess that's what a ***** feels like when it looses its whiskers.

Yowzer! I hate it when that happens!

It didn't happen last night but 4 days ago. I didn't want to face you guys but figured it was time to do it. Ya, sucker was bleeding and throbbing but I put 5-6 gauze with pexoride, stopped the bleeding and put neosporin on it. I am thinking it'll take few month to grow back:\
Problem now is it's like a reminder since I haver it bandaged. Oh well :\

Ow, I know how that feels.
I sustained a similar injury last year, only it was my thumb and I took off the tip about a quarter to third of the way up the nail. Was mowing through a big pile of mushrooms, turned to talk to someone and my thumb relaxed and went into my cut. I didnt realize how bad it was until mopped up enough blood to see that my thumb tip was gone, found it on the side of my knife, then taped it back on. I ended having surgery to re-amputate it and surgically reattach the tip, a couple of days later. Now, almost a year later and I have nearly all sensation back in the once severed piece.

But I was told that is how you learn knife skills....

*edit* The best thing I've ever experienced for knife skills is working with large amounts of food when I'm totally exhausted and sick of cutting.

I've cut myself like this so many times, it's practically a lifestyle choice.

I am reminded of something Anthony Bourdain said somewhere: "The knife doesn't even belong to you until it's tasted some of your blood."

Cheers,

Jack

I feel compelled to share this here rather than starting a new thread. This happened about 5 years ago while frenching shallots about half an hour before dinner service. It was a very long night.

finger.jpg

Back