Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: request thread? (Tanaka)

he does make ironwood, but mostly for his local customers. I receive a batch now and then in very limited qty.

WWW.KNIVESANDSTONES.COM
    Youtube Channel,Instagram
    gtalk: knivesandstones at gmail dot com

Quote Originally Posted by pkjames View Post
    thanks guys. AFAIK, a batch Tanaka Ginsan will come around the new year. Next year I will work more closely with Tanaka to figure out some more new stuff. Obviously not everything is achievable but I will try my best

The cheap R2 will be available once I come back from the holidays.

James
    The Migaki?!?!

I'm seriously hoping to get a few of the Tanaka Ginsan to try out!
    Oh wait, you mean we can customize our signatures?

So in my excitement over the Ginsanko Migaki I overlooked the cheap R2 part. Can I ask, are these the same as you currently have but with simpler handles, or different models than you currently have on the site?

As promised, the cheap R2 is now availalbe. You also have the chance of customizing the handles. For 240mm Gyuto, you can purchase a saya with it as well.

http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanak...yuto-wa-240mm/

WWW.KNIVESANDSTONES.COM

Are the cheaper R2s the same blade as the original R2? It's a significant (~$150) difference in price, just curious as to how that was possible, unless it was a sizable initial markup?

Quote Originally Posted by strumke View Post
    Are the cheaper R2s the same blade as the original R2? It's a significant (~$150) difference in price, just curious as to how that was possible, unless it was a sizable initial markup?
    Are you referring to the very first one that I sold you? They are the same blade (current version is K&S treated) except the very first one I purchased off a show from Tanaka (He didn't have any other WA R2 at that time, and it was like so for a long long time).
    I had to buy it at retail along with the box, horn handle, etc. Knocked the stock off and replace with my handle. The high cost meant it was expensive.

Now is different, Tanaka is now able to supply me with a lot more knives, in blade form rather than a completed knife and I am also able to reduce the cost of handles. So instead of keep everything high, I opted to pass on the cost saving to my customers, which is also true to a lot of other knives like the Chiku (Kurosaki) & Kurokumo (Kamo).

WWW.KNIVESANDSTONES.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Tobes View Post
    Stainless Clad Blue2 or ginsan 180 mm Nakiri and im in!
    +1

++1 for a 210 mm Nakiri

Quote Originally Posted by pkjames View Post
    Are you referring to the very first one that I sold you? They are the same blade (current version is K&S treated) except the very first one I purchased off a show from Tanaka (He didn't have any other WA R2 at that time, and it was like so for a long long time).
    I had to buy it at retail along with the box, horn handle, etc. Knocked the stock off and replace with my handle. The high cost meant it was expensive.

Now is different, Tanaka is now able to supply me with a lot more knives, in blade form rather than a completed knife and I am also able to reduce the cost of handles. So instead of keep everything high, I opted to pass on the cost saving to my customers, which is also true to a lot of other knives like the Chiku (Kurosaki) & Kurokumo (Kamo).
    Gotcha, makes sense. Its a great blade, and it's good that folks can get into it at a lower price.

answering the call!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1496453294.804281.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	656.1 KB 
ID:	35791

WWW.KNIVESANDSTONES.COM