Knives & Stones request thread? (Tanaka)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
Hey James, noticed your comment in the Tanaka thread and figured maybe we could start a special interest/request thread here. I believe the original question was about the less expensive R2 line but I'll let someone else speak to that. My curiosity involves the blue 2 nakiris...really like to see how a 180 Tanaka would perform.

Cheers

Tanaka migaki ginsanko cleaver. Nice the thin maybe 1.8 mm at the spine, convex grind. 210-220 x 110-120 that would be baller nice kns treatment.

Sounds awesome.:viking:

Also 180mm petty Would Be cool.

210mm lineknife / gyutohiki...

Yeah, the 180 nakiri sounds great, B2, SS clad, heel hight 54-59mm and the vintage Tanaka grind. Where can send my money???

I'd be interested in a polished blue#2 wide bevel knife. Like the nashiji, but polished above the bevel. It'd be a plus if it were stainless clad too, but I don't think he does stainless clad carbon

Stainless Clad Blue2 or ginsan 180 mm Nakiri and im in!

thanks guys. AFAIK, a batch Tanaka Ginsan will come around the new year. Next year I will work more closely with Tanaka to figure out some more new stuff. Obviously not everything is achievable but I will try my best :)

The cheap R2 will be available once I come back from the holidays.

James

how come tanaka doesnt make any suji's? not for me but i think there is a niche of affordable suji that isn't filled yet.
oh, i miss my old 270 ginsan gyuto, that thing had such a sweet profile.

While we are at it, does tanaka still make the western ironwood? Seems to be out of stock everywhere for a while now.

he does make ironwood, but mostly for his local customers. I receive a batch now and then in very limited qty.

thanks guys. AFAIK, a batch Tanaka Ginsan will come around the new year. Next year I will work more closely with Tanaka to figure out some more new stuff. Obviously not everything is achievable but I will try my best :)

The cheap R2 will be available once I come back from the holidays.

James

The Migaki?!?!

So in my excitement over the Ginsanko Migaki I overlooked the cheap R2 part. Can I ask, are these the same as you currently have but with simpler handles, or different models than you currently have on the site?

Are the cheaper R2s the same blade as the original R2? It's a significant (~$150) difference in price, just curious as to how that was possible, unless it was a sizable initial markup?

Are the cheaper R2s the same blade as the original R2? It's a significant (~$150) difference in price, just curious as to how that was possible, unless it was a sizable initial markup?

Are you referring to the very first one that I sold you? They are the same blade (current version is K&S treated) except the very first one I purchased off a show from Tanaka (He didn't have any other WA R2 at that time, and it was like so for a long long time).
I had to buy it at retail along with the box, horn handle, etc. Knocked the stock off and replace with my handle. The high cost meant it was expensive.

Now is different, Tanaka is now able to supply me with a lot more knives, in blade form rather than a completed knife and I am also able to reduce the cost of handles. So instead of keep everything high, I opted to pass on the cost saving to my customers, which is also true to a lot of other knives like the Chiku (Kurosaki) & Kurokumo (Kamo).

Are you referring to the very first one that I sold you? They are the same blade (current version is K&S treated) except the very first one I purchased off a show from Tanaka (He didn't have any other WA R2 at that time, and it was like so for a long long time).
I had to buy it at retail along with the box, horn handle, etc. Knocked the stock off and replace with my handle. The high cost meant it was expensive.

Now is different, Tanaka is now able to supply me with a lot more knives, in blade form rather than a completed knife and I am also able to reduce the cost of handles. So instead of keep everything high, I opted to pass on the cost saving to my customers, which is also true to a lot of other knives like the Chiku (Kurosaki) & Kurokumo (Kamo).

Gotcha, makes sense. Its a great blade, and it's good that folks can get into it at a lower price.

answering the call!
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1496453294.804281.jpg

Will update in a new thread very soon but want to note here that there's one of these here in the states that will soon become a passaround and end as a PIF.

Awesome cutter and if I can get a decent choil shot, it is sure to impress.

Whatever happened to those "thin grind" ginsankos? It was like a small batch appeared, I missed them, I got on the email list, and they're GONE. :(

Back