Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Straightening a Tang for Custom Wa-Handle Install

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Surely you use glue sometimes? 😆
    For some reason, the emoticon didn't come through in the original. Just to be clear- this was meant to be humorous. Sorry if it fell flat.

You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

you need to use heat to prevent cracking. The towel and torch method mentioned before is in my opinion the best option. You dont even have to go to red hot, anything above 400 F greatly reduces the chances of cracking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Surely you use glue sometimes?😆
    Duct tape.

If you haven't done this already I second the heat option. I heat with a torch and straighten in a bench vice. As JMJones said it doesn't need to be red hot, you can do it easily at tempering temps, 400f ish.

Did this over the weekend…
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BTyIizAgWUF/

It's now straight enough that it'll install okay. Maybe if I had more experience or the blade wasn't expensive and already finish polished / sharpened I'd try more, but don't want to risk it… if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    "A dull knife means you're a ******* loser" – Matty Matheson

I believe that this is quite common so that the handle installers in Japan do bend it so that after the install the knife is straight vis a vis handle .. both from the spine to handle and edge to handle ( choil shot). That's why there is a rounded head metal piece ( abt 4 inches thick) around them to hammer /bend the tang

On harder wood it wld be a challenge to burn it.. but can still be done. .. with emphasis on keeping the blade square to the handle... Spine and choil view .

Didnt hv the need to do it on a honyaki blade as I insisted that they do not adjust the tang but with the white steel... i do remember heating it up and clamping it in a vice and it worked.

hv fun.. Z