Where did you source your Uchigumori fingerstones from?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vancouverguy

Reaction score
As the title asks, Where'd you source your uchigumori fingerstones from?

I'm eyeing a couple of websites, watanabe, aframes, ebay, JNS, etc. Just wondering where'd you guys source them from, and would the quality differ ( Probably hate against ebay :cool2:) among stores?

Thanks, Looking forward for peoples input before I take a stab at using finger stones.

I got mine from watanabe and I brought a cheap stone from him which I will break apart and make my own from
now on. Way cheaper than buying pre made ones

I did AFrames, was not disappointed. It was quite a lot of stones well cut for not much money.

True that the ones I got from AFrames needed to be finished too, but there is a very good YouTube series from Maxim on how to finish finger stones, and similar How To's have been done on the forum as well.

Be aware there is a fair amount of variation between stones. I would suggest you try a couple different types, both ha and ji, and you find out what works best for the different steel you're using it on.

Be aware there is a fair amount of variation between stones. I would suggest you try a couple different types, both ha and ji, and you find out what works best for the different steel you're using it on.
For carbon damascus clad, what would you recommend? hato or jitto?

Not sure, it's pretty subjective. I've had a jitto stone that was a little too hard for a kasumi finish but worked pretty well for stainless damascus. It really just depends, for better or worse natural stones aren't a cut and dry type of science.

I would suggest buying a small uchigumori stone from Watanabe, cutting it with hack saw to small blocks that have the cross section as the size of finger stones you want to get and then use an old wide chisel to split the. I did that on a softer stone from Maksim and it worked great. This reminds me that I should update my article on fingerstones :)

Back