Nakiri recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkao

Reaction score
Hi, first time posting here. So far I've been using chef's knife for pretty much everything, now I'm thinking about trying something a little different. Is there anything to watch out for? Anything to avoid? thanks.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Nakiri

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
No strong pref, ~165mm?

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
vegetables

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
various gyuto and western chef's knives

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
push cut

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
maybe less sticking

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
no particular preerence
Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
maybe lighter, handle not too big
Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
better food release, less reactivity with food
Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
preferably high, but not too important since it's for home use

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
wood, plasitc
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

This is the gold standard...and under budget. Someone just ordered one with a horn collar vs the plastic and not sure of the upgrade cost but would be worth it imo. Just email the maker (Shinichi) and inquire as to the upgrade cost...his turnaround time is consistently good.

He also makes a 165 but imo that is not quite long enough...I believe the shorter one may also be more expensive but does come with a horn collar.

Almost forgot to say Welcome to kkf!

Easy to agree with chinacats recs.

If you want a budget option:
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/munetoshi-kurouchi-nakiri-180mm/

This is going to be my next purchase. It's about 113 $ and there's a 15% discount too.
It's been called a fun cutter with superior food release, but on large items can wedge a little.

I have one 165mm nakiri from Tanaka which i love, but it is a little short for me. The blade just feels to fall short at times. So I'd rather recommend the 180mm.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have never ordered knives directly from Japan before, is the customs/duty process usually pretty easy and smooth?
Would you ever consider stainless? I see akifusa has something in the same price range, although I don't see them mentioned here very often.

Nothing wrong with a well made SS from a skilled smith. Half my blades are SS. (Although out of necessity. I work in a very busy pro kitchen and as much as I'd like to I just don't have the chance to look after my knives enough when working on the line. So for those days I need SS knives.)

There would be a couple very good choices like the Itinomonn and Kochi. They would've been 180mm size too, but as those are both OOS, these 165mm nakiris come to mind which could be worth considering. I haven't tried any of them, but they all have good reputations.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/collections/nakiri/products/gesshin-uraku-165mm-skd-nakiri
It's actually SS clad SKD semi SS. Very carbon like to sharpen, not too reactive. JKI is a very good vendor too.

http://cleancut.se/butik/knivserier/kurosaki-2-serier/kurosaki-r2/nakiri2015-01-29-11-52-00-detail
The site is in Swedish, but they all speak english. They deduct VAT which is about as much as the shipment cost. Kurosakis R2 PM SS is some what comparable to Akifusas SRS15.

http://www.knivesandstones.com/syou...-aogami-super-stainless-cladding-by-kurosaki/
This is actually SS clad carbon knife, but the core is not too reactive and it's protected by the SS cladding. James at K&S is an absolute joy to deal with.

The Watanabe recommended by CCats (and others, myself included) is stainless clad carbon. This to me is best of both worlds.

165 is fine for home use but for higher volume the 180 shines. Above 180 the Nakiri starts to lose the nimble feel that makes them fun to work with.

This is the gold standard...and under budget. Someone just ordered one with a horn collar vs the plastic and not sure of the upgrade cost but would be worth it imo. Just email the maker (Shinichi) and inquire as to the upgrade cost...his turnaround time is consistently good.

He also makes a 165 but imo that is not quite long enough...I believe the shorter one may also be more expensive but does come with a horn collar.

Almost forgot to say Welcome to kkf!

From Shinichi,

180mm nakkiri knife has D-shaped chestnut handle.
We don't have the horn hilt.
The oval shaped chestnut handle with horn hilt is available.

Kurouchi Nakkiri knife, 180mm JPY20,000
The oval shaped chestnut handle with horn hilt JPY7,000
The shipping JPY3,100​

Is the oval-shaped chestnut handle for 7k JPY the right purchase or better to get the original handle?

Toyama 180 Nakiri from JNS. Under budget with a current discount. I have the 210 and it's a beast. Horn and Ho wood D handle. Free shipping. Done.

The Watanabe recommended by CCats (and others, myself included) is stainless clad carbon. This to me is best of both worlds.

165 is fine for home use but for higher volume the 180 shines. Above 180 the Nakiri starts to lose the nimble feel that makes them fun to work with.

The price, the SS cladding, the size and all the rave Watanabe gets, I just changed my mind. That will be my next knife. :D

I just ordered the Watanabe, seems like everyone loves it.

Totally agree with daveb, 180 is an awesome balance. I have a 210 nakiri but this is especially good for large root veg like pumpkin but less nimble. 180 is far better for more uses.
Watanabe SS 180 nakiri is hard to beat. It is so good many with he made SS gyutos in 240!

Watanabe is the crowd pleaser for sure. I'm not a Nakiri person at all but if you want to another option to consider I would suggest a kochi Nakiri from jki.

I'll say one thing for Wantanabe, he offers fast delivery! I broke down and ordered the 180 Nakiri a few days ago. The post man is on his way out here to deliver it right now. Japan to my door in less than a full week.

Yes, I just picked up mine from the post office today

The kurouchi finish seems to be quite reactive. I'm hoping it's patina and not rust. I washed and dried immediately after use.

I'll say one thing for Wantanabe, he offers fast delivery! I broke down and ordered the 180 Nakiri a few days ago. The post man is on his way out here to deliver it right now. Japan to my door in less than a full week.

I really wasn't expecting to be posting this about the Wantanabe 180 Nakiri but I used it for the first time last night. Just some simple boiled potato dicing for later frying. After doing that I happened to notice something wrong the near the point. About a 1/4-inch back was a fairly large chip followed by maybe 6-7 more smaller chips in a tight row. I can sharpen these out but I kind of consider a nakiri a everyday workhorse. Dicing boiled potatoes (wood cutting board) doesn't seem like that big of strain. If it happens again after I sharpen them out I'm going to have a problem with the maker.
A few years ago I had a pair of Carter's do pretty much the same thing. Murray told me he considered that was normal until you had sharpened a forged blade back a ways.

I also noticed some minor chipping on mine, but I m not too worried unless it keeps happening after sharpening.

I received a red takamura r2 from new and upon first use I found extensive micro chipping.

It is not a maker specific problem. Once you remove the fatigued metal on first sharpening, the problem goes away.

Unless it's a big chip, then yes it'd be different.

I really wasn't expecting to be posting this about the Wantanabe 180 Nakiri but I used it for the first time last night. Just some simple boiled potato dicing for later frying. After doing that I happened to notice something wrong the near the point. About a 1/4-inch back was a fairly large chip followed by maybe 6-7 more smaller chips in a tight row. I can sharpen these out but I kind of consider a nakiri a everyday workhorse. Dicing boiled potatoes (wood cutting board) doesn't seem like that big of strain. If it happens again after I sharpen them out I'm going to have a problem with the maker.
A few years ago I had a pair of Carter's do pretty much the same thing. Murray told me he considered that was normal until you had sharpened a forged blade back a ways.

It resolves itself after sharpening, and then it is pretty awesome, at least that's how my Toyama (very similar to Watanabe worked). I just sharpened up my Gyuto and it's amazingly good.

I've recently picked up the smallest discernible chip at the heel of my Wat. Doesn't affect anything, just watch it get smaller.

Sharpening the chips out proved easier than I expected. I started on one of Wantanbe's 220 grit synthetics, moved to his 1000 grit stone and finished on his 2000. Good enough for my needs.

Back