Impulse buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman91

Reaction score
So with all the talk of how great of cutters Carter's knives are, I bought one. A 7.8 sun high grade funayuki. This was totally an impulse buy. I don't really need it, at all, but figured i needed to try one out. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Mike

its a little shy of 240mm... just for reference, 1 sun is about 30mm, so a 7 sun knife is 210mm, 8 sun is 240mm, 9 sun is 270mm, and 10 sun (or 1 shaku) is 300mm... longer than 1 shaku, the counters work like this- shaku-ichi (1 shaku 1 sun) 330mm and so on

I am pretty excited to see how this thing feels and performs. I haven't seen a whole lot of Carter's that are over 9in so i wanted to make sure i jumped on this one.

Mike

What do they say if it's a 320 mm? As for the Carter purchase, I love the SFGZ better than the HG but the HG's are still really nice, at least the ones I've seen.

So with all the talk of how great of cutters Carter's knives are, I bought one. A 7.8 sun high grade funayuki. This was totally an impulse buy. I don't really need it, at all, but figured i needed to try one out. Hope I'm not disappointed.

Mike

I've been on the fence for a couple of months thinking about getting a 7.5 sun hg. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

its a little shy of 240mm... just for reference, 1 sun is about 30mm, so a 7 sun knife is 210mm, 8 sun is 240mm, 9 sun is 270mm, and 10 sun (or 1 shaku) is 300mm... longer than 1 shaku, the counters work like this- shaku-ichi (1 shaku 1 sun) 330mm and so on

Good info! Thanks Jon!

You're gonna love it! I'm loving mine, and want to get more! I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

It's nice to hear the good feedback. Can't wait to put it to work. I will be eating well this weekend!

Mike

What do they say if it's a 320 mm? As for the Carter purchase, I love the SFGZ better than the HG but the HG's are still really nice, at least the ones I've seen.

Tk: why do you like about the sfgz over the hg line? What are the differences in performance?

In terms of performance, I find it cuts just as well as the HG but releases food better for less money. I also like custom handles better than HG handles although the ebony isn't bad. The SFGZ is uglier but so what? I kinda like taking out my ugly a$$ Carter and showing up the pretty knives.

Nice score, almost missed this thread. I have a few of his knives, and I do like the HGs. However, they feel much more delicate and I mostly use them when I have a bit more time and want precision. The SFGZs feel more robust to me, and when I just need to work without thinking too much, I reach for the SFGZ funayuki (a rehandled RH in 5.something sun, I wish it were a bit longer) or the IP in 7.5 sun blue steel which seems indestructable. But I am sure you will have fun with the knife.

Stefan

We are supposed to be convincing Iceman that his purchase is crap, and he should just dump it on me for a fraction of its cost....

+1 on info of Carter sale????

We are supposed to be convincing Iceman that his purchase is crap, and he should just dump it on me for a fraction of its cost....

+1 on info of Carter sale????
If you sign up for his sharpening tips he gives you deals each tip, one of them is 25% off one item.

If you sign up for his sharpening tips he gives you deals each tip, one of them is 25% off one item.

I got this, and wish I'd used it more wisely. It's a good deal. I bought a little funayuki, but wish I'd waited until he came out with a selection of the larger knives. Don't get me wrong, the 5 Sun funayuki is a GREAT knife. It's just that the 25% coupon is a time to maximize value.

Cheer,

Jack

Back