• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Kato 240 Kikuryu gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoze

Reaction score
I just got the knife very recently in a trade on KKF.
As I better like my yo-handled Kato, the kikuryu is on the market, again.

It`s the workhorse type from Maxim, wears an macassar ebony handle and was polished on jnats by Maxim to bring out the subltle pattern of the steel.
The knife is brand new and has never been used or sharpened. It’s very sturdy with 245mm of cutting edge , 53 mm hight at the heel and a weight of 296 gr.
Here you will find some further information on the knife:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/27304-Kikuryu?p=416411&viewfull=1#post416411

What I could gather is, that the kikuryu differs from the damascus version as it's tougher and the visible pattern is much subtler.
Also it seems, they are even rarer than the Damascus version.

As to pricing:
The knife sold for 1250 US (without VAT) on JNS. Bringing it back to Europe added the usual taxes and fees.
Due to the condition of the knife, scarcity, current pricing from vendors and aiming at getting back part of the money I’ve put into this, I'd like to get 1.450 € plus shipping and paypal .

For any further questions, please feel free to pm me.

Here are some pictures (sorry for the poor quality, I just seem incapable of taking any better):
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wwkn3cb8yqreyr4/AABm5JZWBxl4qMRy1MNh6ZXsa?dl=0

Hey all- I suck. When I ran the numbers quick, I miscalculated. Afraid a couple pending expenses mean I can't afford this right now.

It is still available!

The thing that I find most interesting about these knives is the following:
"the finishing Sen grind mark is running perpendicular (kiri) to the edge line"
Is this visible or has the polish removed it?

Also, why did it need to be polished? What was wrong with the OOTB finish?

I just got the knife very recently in a trade on KKF.
Definitely a unicorn knife and good luck with sale. There will be a very happy buyer. Say, what did you trade it for?

The thing that I find most interesting about these knives is the following:
"the finishing Sen grind mark is running perpendicular (kiri) to the edge line"
Is this visible or has the polish removed it?

Also, why did it need to be polished? What was wrong with the OOTB finish?

Not quite surea what the Sen grind mark would be.
In any case: I've added some more picutes to the dropbox folder that might better show the blade face and answer your question.

As to the polish: in the thread mentioned in my initial post you can see two different polishes on the knife; the second picture showing the actual knive displays more detail on the kikuryu cladding. So I think, thats what the jnat polish was supposed to bring out.

As always: I'm happy to learn. So maybe the jnat experts or kato aficionados here may want to chime in on that?

This one is sold. Thanks KKF.
Mods, please close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back