Quantcast
Fixing Overgrinds?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixing Overgrinds?

Fixing Overgrinds?

Pretty sure my knife isn't overground, but the problem is the same as if it was. My Masamoto has a small part just before the heel that does not hit the cutting board flat. I think it was me using a ceramic rod and not starting from the heel. I tried to fix this for quite a while on a 220 grit stone but I think I made it worse then I sort of made it a little better. Basically I spent about an hour to get back to where I started. Any tips for this? Should I just grind the whole back 3rd of the blade for ages and eventually it will flatten itself? Something else I noticed is the impact the burr has. Should I deburr occasionally when doing this? Any tips are appreciated

Is it a KS or a western-handled Masamoto?

It is a 240 KS. The part I am talking about isn't massively noticeable but I think it would still affect cutting

Hey Steven,
    I had the same problem with my KS awhile back.
    My issue was that I wasn't sharpening equally at the heel, I was letting up at the very end.
    I went back to my lowest stone (king 800) and did the last third of the blade paying extra attention at the heel.
    I could see where I had been lacking even pressure and adjusted.
    It took maybe fifteen minutes, I kept stopping making sure I wasn't altering the profile of the knife.
    Not sure if I went about it the correct way but I fixed it.
    Here's a link to my thread, its got a couple pics linked in it. Hope this helps, good luck.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...so!&highlight=

Thanks TamanegiKin. The knife was perfect when I got it, definitely my fault. I tried adjusting pressure but I definitely made it worse and went back to normal sharpening to lessen it a little, it was almost like i moved the problem area further along the blade. Maybe I started too coarse? I also have a King 800. Something I noticed is that it almost seemed like the burr on the problem area picked up slurry and it built up on it, making it worse

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    Pretty sure my knife isn't overground, but the problem is the same as if it was. My Masamoto has a small part just before the heel that does not hit the cutting board flat. I think it was me using a ceramic rod and not starting from the heel. I tried to fix this for quite a while on a 220 grit stone but I think I made it worse then I sort of made it a little better. Basically I spent about an hour to get back to where I started. Any tips for this? Should I just grind the whole back 3rd of the blade for ages and eventually it will flatten itself? Something else I noticed is the impact the burr has. Should I deburr occasionally when doing this? Any tips are appreciated
    The way to fix a "hole" in the edge, is to remove metal along the whole edge. I find Atoma 140 be a perfect tool for that but DMTXXC will do just fine. It will however, kill your edge (and make it thicker), and you will need to thin the area above the edge before putting a new edge on, something that many people might not be keen on doing. Grinding down just the 1/3 at the heel will introduce a minor, I repeat, minor distortion to the profile, but that might be an easier route.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Not to highjack... what about legit manufacturer overgrinds? I have a set of Shun steak knives that are overground (see pic below)... is the only way to fix this to grind down the side of the blade until it's flat?

Blade looking from the top:

As you can see, it's a good 1" section on a 5" steak knife... I'm just glad I got these for free!

Quote Originally Posted by mateo View Post
    Not to highjack... what about legit manufacturer overgrinds? I have a set of Shun steak knives that are overground (see pic below)... is the only way to fix this to grind down the side of the blade until it's flat?

Blade looking from the top:
    Now that doesn't look good at all. From the pic it looks to be slightly shy of 1/32, which is not insignificant. If you want a proper profile, than removing metal to along the edge is the way to go, but that introduces complications that I described in the post above.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Thanks Marko, that sounds about right. Been using a Naniwa 220 stone for coarse stuff because I've been stingy about buying an Atoma but I guess now is the time to get one

Steve,

Consider also the Sigma Power Select II #240 and the SP Ceramic #120.

+ Reply to Thread