Burn mark on new knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, probably a silly question but hey - that hasn't stopped me yet ;)

Just got two new Wakui knives. I've heard about burning in the handle but didn't think it should leave a burn mark on the knife. These are the first new knives purchased with a satin (kasumi?) finish.

I called the place I ordered from and was told this is normal and I should be able to polish the marks away with a bit of cameo or very fine grit sandpaper. Don't mind as I like playing with my knives anyway, but wanted to check with the experts to see if this sounds right.

Below a picture of the knives...

WIN_20161227_18_20_30_Pro.jpg

When you insert the hot tang to the handle the smoke coming out will discolour the blade if not wrapped , tiny bit of metal polish will get rid off it instantly

Looks like smoke residue from the burn in process. Oily woods can leave sticky residue behind.

yeah... alcohol or acetone should take that off easily... it occurs when installing handles.

Ok, probably a silly question but hey - that hasn't stopped me yet ;)

Just got two new Wakui knives. I've heard about burning in the handle but didn't think it should leave a burn mark on the knife. These are the first new knives purchased with a satin (kasumi?) finish.

I called the place I ordered from and was told this is normal and I should be able to polish the marks away with a bit of cameo or very fine grit sandpaper. Don't mind as I like playing with my knives anyway, but wanted to check with the experts to see if this sounds right.

Below a picture of the knives...

View attachment 34044

Unrelated to the actual question (I belive the pros cleared that); would you please guve us a run down of your thoughts on the knives? Pictures would really help. I had these in my shortlist for a next purchase.

Thanks.

I have the same burned mark on my Wakui 270 from Bernal...

Your picture looks exactly like mine from Bernal with the same burn in mark. No biggie. And prepare to be very happy. Not much cuts like it.

Where are the reviews and pictures people?

I am not an expert. wakui is very thin like laser and has S grind. Really love S grind. Stainless clad really helps me maintenance to minimum. It gets really sharp easy (white #2). I personally feel that my wakui is less harder than my other gyutos. Hold little less acute angle, but still more than sharp enough.

I am not an expert. wakui is very thin like laser and has S grind. Really love S grind. Stainless clad really helps me maintenance to minimum. It gets really sharp easy (white #2). I personally feel that my wakui is less harder than my other gyutos. Hold little less acute angle, but still more than sharp enough.

I'm trying to see the S grind on the choil shots but failing:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/22894-Wakui

And

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/22894-Wakui/page2

May I ask where you purchased this knife? I am looking for a 210mm Gyuto with kasumi finish. Thanks

Mine is subtle. I run my fingers through the blade. I cant not see sgrind on my choil shot either. I dont know about others'. At least mine is S grind.

Aha, okay, so not as pronounced as the Dalmans.

As thin behind the edge as it gets. Dunno that I'd call it an S grind

No way was I going to post a picture and review until I had my new knives bright and shiny! A little simichrome does wonders! Pics and reviews to come this weekend, Monday at the latest.

I look forward to it and pictures of the blade like Badgertooth's sexy shot above.

Your picture looks exactly like mine from Bernal with the same burn in mark. No biggie. And prepare to be very happy. Not much cuts like it.

+1 on everything...mine also had the burn mark. And I love the knife!

Cheers,
Blair

Dave, will maintaining this geometry be achievable with just stones?

Not really. Initially you can hit just the edge, and do this for some time, but eventually you'd want to hit the whole bevel on the stones. Of course you could not flatten the bevel completely and leave it concave as long as possible but most will find that ugly and flatten away.

Back