Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shigefusa Kitaeji Garasuki 180mm

If you like your shiggy you'll have found a bunch of new friends here, very popular knives on this forum. Highly sought after!

Blue skies over bad lands

Actually you can sharp double bevel or single bevel up to the user. Korin had the video talk about this boning knife. Here the video.

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    Congratulation cenc, it is a great looking blade. Not sure whether I would feel regretful not pulling a trigger when the blade was available or not, but I already have a kasumi version of this knife, a bit smaller as well at about 170mm length, and AUD is not very helpful for buying knives.

You are right that this is a single bevel knife with flat back side, no ura. On the back side a few passes at, 10-15˚ for deburring should be enough. I would keep back side back bevel tiny myself.

On the front side, either do a micro bevel as you do now, or just typical shig pure hamaguriba would also be a good idea. It would depend on how you use the knife, really.
    The round choil in that shot must be deceiving, i could have sworn I could see a concave ura... ah well time to get my eyes tested.

Any particular reason why they don't have an ura?

Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    The round choil in that shot must be deceiving, i could have sworn I could see a concave ura... ah well time to get my eyes tested.
    As we get older,

Quote Originally Posted by malexthekid View Post
    Any particular reason why they don't have an ura?
    Not particularly sure, Alex. From what I have seen so far for Garasuki knives, usually it is a mono steel, rather thick, has a large single bevel on the front side, has a tiny back bevel on a flat back side. Shigefusa garasuki and honesuki that I have seem to follow this form. A true single bevel with hollow ground garasuki such as Kato that I used to have, and Watanabe? exist as well, but in minority.

If I am not mistaken from memory, a Shigefusa kitaeji hankotsu that was made a few years back also had a flat backside.

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    As we get older,

Not particularly sure, Alex. From what I have seen so far for Garasuki knives, usually it is a mono steel, rather thick, has a large single bevel on the front side, has a tiny back bevel on a flat back side. Shigefusa garasuki and honesuki that I have seem to follow this form. A true single bevel with hollow ground garasuki such as Kato that I used to have, and Watanabe? exist as well, but in minority.

If I am not mistaken from memory, a Shigefusa kitaeji hankotsu that was made a few years back also had a flat backside.
    Love the look of that hankotsu.. It reminds me of a really long kiridashi.

Really concentrated kitaeji patterns on that one..