My Birthday Giveaway!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamon Burke

Banned
Reaction score
My birthday is in a few days, and in honor of the way I think birthdays should go, I'm giving a little something away. The Hobbits had it right all along.

I'm giving away a set of three little bottles of stropping pastes:
2 Micron Silicon Carbide
1 Micron Boron Carbide
.5 Micron Chromium Oxide
They are the Hand American semi pastes. If you don't have any compounds for stropping, there really isn't a tiny enough amount that you need. A single bottle will last you until you die or have toddlers. None of these are 'better' than the others, and you don't need all three, but it is fun to see how they differ from each other and work(or don't) together. It's fairly pricey(and a long wait for stocking) to get all three of these.
This + Hobby store = Best sharpening upgrade under $10.

The Game
My wife got me the best Birthday gift I've ever gotten!:happy1: Not that I've had a huge list of great birthday presents(or any for that matter), but including any kind of gift, this beats my previous 'best gift', which was On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee, also from my wife.

I had just gotten off of work, and was so unsure what it was, I was surgically cutting the box, just in case it was inflatable or otherwise. One thing about me: I don't react to gifts(I told my wife once to watch my face when my daughters were born and remember it--cause that's as much reaction as I offer). But my face here still gets me!:lol2:

[video=vimeo;29818576]http://vimeo.com/29818576[/video]

Guess what it is! I will pick a person at random from the guesses.

I'll answer some questions about it, but not if it hits too close to home.

Well I think we have a pretty good idea where it came from anyway from the bag. Is it a Fujiwara Teruyasu?

The complete box set of Saved by the Bell?
Or maybe a 240 Kochi Kurouchi wa-gyuto.

I only watched the first 40 seconds. Pretty sure it's a Fleshlight.

The saya has to be custom? I don't think I've seen anything on JKI with a dark wood saya...
I'm guessing Kochi Migaki gyuto.

Looks like black lacquer to me...

I'm guessing it's a 270 Ashi honyaki gyuto in white #2.

That's a great wife to get something like that for you.

More importantly, it's impressive that she understands what *precisely* to get, instead of simply resorting to "anything."

You do look stunned, however.

I'm probably way off, but given the saya and handle, the above hint, and that there was a poster not very long ago asking for advice on an upcoming birthday (back when I think Jon and Sara may have been in Japan) I'll take a wild guess and say Mizuno Custom via Koki??? Man, I seriously have no idea!

Oh yeah and since it's random, go ahead and enter as many guesses as you'd like. I'll include em all.

Custom, Custom....do I smell a Custom?

I'm completely baffled... But that's a cool family vid. You're hilarious, btw. :)

Would either have to go with a custom Kochi Migaki Wa-Gyuto or custom Kono. Those would be mine.

A brand new drawer queen? It has to be something expensive atleast... with a high edge retention since you are giving away all your stropping compounds. :D

A brand new drawer queen? It has to be something expensive atleast... with a high edge retention since you are giving away all your stropping compounds. :D

hahaha I like your thinking, it's like a tv detective show. But, I don't believe in drawer queens, and I am not giving away ALL my stropping compounds...just have more than I will ever likely use.

Back