Any opinion about Hiromoto honyaki gyuto.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brucewml

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This movement I am really interesting in honyaki blade. And western handle always my first opinion. So tempted by hiromoto honyaki. Any review or any information about that blade compare to those famous honyaki blade.

Thanks so much. Bruce

I own a 240mm Hiro Honyaki that Dave is currently re-handling. It really is a great knife. Thicker at the spine but not Kato thick. I had Mr Nagao sharpen it up for me before it was sent out. I used it a couple of times and really liked how sharp I could get it. I also don't think it's harder than 64 HRC so the edge was tougher than I imagined it would be. No pictures, as it is with Dave for a re-handle, nut when I get it back I'll post it.

Thanks so much. Dude. Feel like need to get one now. Hahahahahahah

yeah, I bought one pretty much the day Koki put them up at JCK. Heirloom quality knife, except for the handle.

Prezzio has one and loves it. I'm thinking I may get one as well but ikeda and shiraki and cris anderson are right there lol. I know they are really well made knives though.

It rocks
And actually love the simple handle, I don't have to baby and gets tons of use as a result. really great and undervalued knife. better than a Kato IMO

Lol I believe the price of those honyaki blade right always double up. But I confusing by so many honyaki marketing blade. So many low end knives also put the honyaki name on it. And hiromoto knife I can not see hamon on it.

Highly recommended this knife! Much better than the as version. Hold the edge quite long time, easy to sharpen and it cut super smoothly. Actually I own the version with the simple handle and want to buy the one with bolster

the hamon is similar to watanabe honyaki but less polishes for the contrast. like others in this post, i love mine!

While it's obviously a popular knife, I sent mine back...that said, I kind of get what people like about them. Mine had a small crack on the blade and I wasn't looking for a rehandle project.

Is the 240 honyaki a heavy workhorse knife or really thin at the spine? It's quite an interesting knife.

The wa handled it s a laser knife, thin at the spine, the last three cm of the blade are just paper thin, but the cutting edge is not that crazy thin.
Mine it s thin enough to slide in to ingredients with no effort.

The wa handled it s a laser knife, thin at the spine, the last three cm of the blade are just paper thin, but the cutting edge is not that crazy thin.
Mine it s thin enough to slide in to ingredients with no effort.

Interesting that you said the last 3 cm!
Everyone tends to count 1cm from the tip, which is pointless.
The distance measured, if you want to do delicate tip work, has to be over 5 cm

Is the one with the bolster thicker or are they the same?

Judging from 2mb I have and 1 rosewood, in general small noticeable differences geometrically, with the mb being tiny thinner at spinal tapering as you progress towards the tip.
The important differences are : a.the mb is harder
B. The rw handle is lighter , but the mb is perfectly balanced, and has the mb which as a pro, I love

Thanks, good to know it's not just the handle that's different.

I asked Koki whether there are difference and got the following reponse:
"These [rose wood handle] are the special models from Master Nagao and the blade is through same making process as his normal Honyaki knives (the Black Pakka Wood handle with Stainless steel bolster) We expect the Nagao Honyaki knife has high hardness around HRC 63"

I bought the rosewood version. Actually like the handle...

I also asked Koki before I bought mine (Rosewood). He confirmed that the blade is the same. Any differences between examples are not going to be consistent.

Great inputs from everyone. An extra question, for those who bought the Hiromoto Honyaki, has anyone sold/traded them on, or has everyone kept theirs? If so why did they keep it or why did they sell?

Keeping it. Love the taper, thin tip, sharpens up very very nicely, dig the handle. Enjoy it every time I use it.

Koki told me the same.
But they are different batches.
Maybe the one that I have rose wood handle is softer compared to the other 2, but no chippy at all, eve trying to cut fish bones , in a gently way, to test its limits. Also feels more nimble, since it is lighter at hand.

Of course I cannot possibly know the technical procedures etc.

It is a strange though, that the had a price difference of 190$.
The bolster would justify a 30-50$ difference.

I like both and love to use them, but from what I own and can compare, the mb is even better

I've of seen it on BST once and it was retracted, so I figured most people like them so much they keep them!

I had my rosewood for trade with a mb in the B/S/T
After 2-3 days I put it in the kitchen and I smiled [emoji4]

For the money Shigs and Katos are going for this, I think, is one of the best values and performance knife out there
IMO
I feel I find myself using it most

What's it like behind the edge - A
Cutter or a food separator?

Cutter.
Depends on the sector of course.
Closer to the top thinner, towards the middle more convex from the right side

Back