Can I get a recommendation for a starter chef's knife, please?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
United States of America

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in? Chef’s knife

Are you right or left handed? Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle or Japanese handle? Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 8 inches

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) not required

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $100 USD plus tax

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for? …mainly trimming raw meats and slicing cooked meats and cutting up cooked poultry, but also cutting and slicing vegetables … cabbage and winter squashes come to mind!!

What knife, if any, are you replacing? farberware

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Hammer grip currently, but think I will work on switching to pinch grip, as my current grip leaves the meaty part of my index finger raw and sore

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) slice, draw, chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) no serrations, decent metal, full tang blade is greatly desired

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Wood handle would be nice, but not necessary as long as it is strong. I prefer hard handles over the rubbery ones.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? I would prefer some weight to the knife, and greatly appreciate a well-balanced knife. I would be willing to go with a lighter knife, though. As I mentioned before, my index finger often gets sore when cutting, so if a better handle could help alleviate that, I’d be thankful.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? xxxxx

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? I’ll be willing to sharpen the knife two or 3 times per year if necessary, but intend on using a honing steel before most uses

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) yes, synthetic

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) n/a

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) yes, I want to purchase a honing steel and would also appreciate recommendations for one of these for around $20

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I have had two knife handles break on me in the past, and it is a very frightening experience. For this reason, I am extremely leery of any knife that does not use full tang construction. I am no professional and do not need or desire the “best of the best” but want to find a nice entry-level knife that will last me for several years. I will probably supplement the chef’s knife with a paring knife and a smaller 6” chef’s knife (for use as a utility knife) down the road.

I may be willing to spend a couple hundred dollars USD for a small set if it included honing steel, a paring knife, and a smaller utility knife …

Victorinox chef knife and Ikea ceramic rod. Done..

Lars

Thanks kindly; I greatly appreciate your feedback!!

I'd pass on the artifex; it's very thick behind the edge. I'd look at Tojiro DP and Tanaka VG10 (if you're ok with wa-handled knives)

Richmond Artifex is a pretty decent starter knife for under $100

It took me several hours of thinning to get it to move through foods as easily as a tojiro DP does straight out-of-the-box. No beginner to better knives should have to deal with shoulders like that

Check out the Kanetsugu Pro-M sold by Japanesechefsknife. Though for a home user I would forego the honing steel and strop on a finishing stone to realign and refresh the edge. Use some sandpaper to smooth out the choil and first inch or so of the spine to help with finger discomfort

I'd pass on the artifex; it's very thick behind the edge. I'd look at Tojiro DP and Tanaka VG10 (if you're ok with wa-handled knives)

I forgot that you can get the Tojiro with a Western handle. Good call

Yeah, this is really where Tojiro DOP is just the perfect option. Sturdy middleweight knife with a full tang and a suitable steel for the tasks... and you get to go the Japanese knife route.

Tojiro DP is a great knife, but it also needs some thinning behind the edge IMO. What about Gesshin Stainless from JKI?

Mac Superior 210 chef knife could be one option too. I've had several cooks waving those around and they seem to be able to take quite a beating. I've test driven them several times and once used to own one too.

The Tojiro is easier to sharpen though.

Well everything went out the window when I got to the shop to find a store-wide clearance sale going on. I ended up getting three Shun Classics for $178 USD total ... 7" Santoku, 4.5" Chef's and a 4" paring knife. There were so many other knives I really wanted but I absolutely had to stop spending money :( I hope I don't "accidentally" find my way back into the shop today armed with a credit card :angel2:

Well everything went out the window when I got to the shop to find a store-wide clearance sale going on. I ended up getting three Shun Classics for $178 USD total ... 7" Santoku, 4.5" Chef's and a 4" paring knife. There were so many other knives I really wanted but I absolutely had to stop spending money :( I hope I don't "accidentally" find my way back into the shop today armed with a credit card :angel2:

Bad choice, there were some great recommendations in this thread too.

Fujiwara FKH carbon with JCK, japanesechefsknife.com
The most recent one came with a decent factory edge. Unexpensive, basic carbon steel knife.

That is an OK price for OK knives, but you will probably just chip it with sharpening steel. That VG10 in Shun Classic knives is (or at least use to be some years ago) rather chippy and really should be sharpened with stones. Otherwise those knvies have decent F&F and will keep edge for a reasonable amount of time. But again - sharpening pretty much requires stones.

Shun are good knives but it always cracks me up when someone asks for suggestions and winds up with something no one here recommended:)

If you do, I'd look at getting a larger knife, like an 8" or 10" chef's knife. People here tend to shun Shuns :lol2: because they are mass market knives, but that doesn't make them bad knives. I have the Santoku, and it's the knife that got me into J-knives (Japanese knives). The handle is the best I've ever held, the blade is thin and light and sharp, and it has a Western-style bolster, which I like. I will warn you, though... you must, must, MUST dry your Shuns before storing them. I failed to do so, because they don't visibly rust, but apparently this causes microfractures in the steel to open up, over time, and it caused my blade to lose a big chunk of the edge. I sent it to KAI (Shun's parent company) and they sent me back a knife that may or may not have been mine, but it's in usable shape. No charge, other than postage, and no hassles.

Shun are good knives but it always cracks me up when someone asks for suggestions and winds up with something no one here recommended:)

Or something that has been steered away from, but you know, the heart wants what the heart wants? :lol2:

...Anyway, decent knives for that price.

Damn, for that kind of money we could have hooked you up for real!

Lars

Not too bad. Main problem with shun is the profile of the chef's knife. For home use a santoku as main knife can work. Although one keeps wondering about a 4.5" chef's.....

Not too bad. Main problem with shun is the profile of the chef's knife. For home use a santoku as main knife can work. Although one keeps wondering about a 4.5" chef's.....

I looked up shun classic 4.5" knife and there only seems to a honesuki in that size. That said, there is this 4.25" chef:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun-classic/multi-prep-chefs-knife-p112432

Looks like an even taller version of a tall 4" paring knife I got for 35.00 a couple years back. I figured at that price, what the hell. It's still unused on the magnetic block and about to be sent off to a friend.

Latest posts

Back