Cool PopSci Article

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Semi-roboticized? It looked like a scene from Star Wars to me!

Very cool though. Amazing that they can make enough sales to justify designing, making, buying and maintaining that kind of stuff.

Maybe they will sell enough to teach the machines to make a proper knife.

Very interesting, thanks for the link.

Now a few cynical thoughts just because it's Wednesday: (1) All they need now is a robot to grind off that bolster (2) That's probably the last time most of those blades will be sharp enough to cut paper (3) why don't they program the robots to round the sharp spines on many of the Zwillings? and (4) They missed showing the last step of a clueless 20-year-old selling the knife at Williams-Sonoma to an unwitting home cook. No number of robots can cure that weak link.

k.

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

On another note... this kinda puts a proverbial fly in the ointment for all those who insist that stamped knives can never be as good as a thick, heavy forged knife like my Henckels (or Wusthof)! When working at a kitchen store I heard this so many times.

Did anyone get the "special formula steel" bit??

Oh noze! Z-Germanz have build das robot army!!!
They even have an animatronic Dave chained to a sharpening wheel.
Run!

Interesting, thanks for sharing!

On another note... this kinda puts a proverbial fly in the ointment for all those who insist that stamped knives can never be as good as a thick, heavy forged knife like my Henckels (or Wusthof)! When working at a kitchen store I heard this so many times.

Yeah like whats the point of putting a bolster on a stamped blade? Actually, I didn't know that the knifes weren't forged. I can't consider dropping a big weight on a stamped blade as drop forging. the molecular structure isn't getting modified with this kind of process.

Yeah like whats the point of putting a bolster on a stamped blade? Actually, I didn't know that the knifes weren't forged. I can't consider dropping a big weight on a stamped blade as drop forging. the molecular structure isn't getting modified with this kind of process.
To be fair there is no such thing as forging that modifies the "molecular structure."

Dropping a big weight on a piece of steel is exactly what drop forging is.

Yeah, it's pretty unromantic. But 'drop forging" sounds cool, in a Michael Bay movie sorta way.

Science channel show "Factory made" ep. #58 had an episode, chef's knives, I am guessing, it was shot in the same factory. They do show robot making one pass to smooth the bolster area and spine, making a comment that spine has to be rounded, because the chef may lean on it. How well it is rounded, that's a different matter :)
Another robot puts 16 per side edge bevel(as they say, "because 16 is optimal edge for cutting"), dunno what the grit is, but pretty rough, because final edge is put by a person, on 240grit belt sander, whole sharpening process takes less than 30 seconds, and human at the end could explain thicker than 16 per side edges...
Ironically, they show how the final knife edge is measured using laser, and you can clearly see (at least in HD it's crystal clear) really bad burr on the edge.

Despite some incorrect commentary, I find those shows quite interesting, for a knife nut. Just to see how things work in factory. I doubt their value for no knife people, because "modern marvels" touted Cutco knives as sharpest knives in the world, "factory made" declared 16 per side as the optimal for cutting and other knife related educational shows has their share of false statements too, e.g. how it's made claimed ceramics knives to be the toughest knives in the world...

I love how everything is all robots except for the German chick that holds it up just to look at it, it's a knife not David Hasselhoff! O and old man Dave at the end whipping away at the grinding wheel. Really?? Do they really need a old man to finish these things up?

P.s. How many of you knife makers wish you had one of them robots?

Science channel show "Factory made" ep. #58 had an episode, chef's knives, I am guessing, it was shot in the same factory. They do show robot making one pass to smooth the bolster area and spine, making a comment that spine has to be rounded, because the chef may lean on it. How well it is rounded, that's a different matter :)
Another robot puts 16 per side edge bevel(as they say, "because 16 is optimal edge for cutting"), dunno what the grit is, but pretty rough, because final edge is put by a person, on 240grit belt sander, whole sharpening process takes less than 30 seconds, and human at the end could explain thicker than 16 per side edges...
Ironically, they show how the final knife edge is measured using laser, and you can clearly see (at least in HD it's crystal clear) really bad burr on the edge.

Despite some incorrect commentary, I find those shows quite interesting, for a knife nut. Just to see how things work in factory. I doubt their value for no knife people, because "modern marvels" touted Cutco knives as sharpest knives in the world, "factory made" declared 16 per side as the optimal for cutting and other knife related educational shows has their share of false statements too, e.g. how it's made claimed ceramics knives to be the toughest knives in the world...

I sore that episode, I think it was the cutco factory they were at?? Wonder in discovery has a vested interest in cutco?

As for
knife related educational shows has their share of false statements too, e.g. how it's made claimed ceramics knives to be the toughest knives in the world...
Daaaa every one knows Bill Burke knives are the toughest knives in the world, someone has to fill discovery network in.

:cool2:
:scared4:

Time to look for another line of work.
Your comment may in fact have been prescient, not because the robots are coming, but because they've put so many people out of work (not just the robots, but the capitalist economy).
There was a time when I could show people my nice knives, and they would ask me where I got them. Not so much any more. I just kind of keep quiet.
I live in a place where you can't go in any direction without driving through miles of vineyards, but whereas in years past my friends would open bottle after bottle of expensive wine, now they're drinking $8.99 wine and talking about how good it is.
Don't quit your day job just yet.

:cool2:
Your comment may in fact have been prescient, not because the robots are coming, but because they've put so many people out of work (not just the robots, but the capitalist economy).
There was a time when I could show people my nice knives, and they would ask me where I got them. Not so much any more. I just kind of keep quiet.
I live in a place where you can't go in any direction without driving through miles of vineyards, but whereas in years past my friends would open bottle after bottle of expensive wine, now they're drinking $8.99 wine and talking about how good it is.
Don't quit your day job just yet.

That's a sign of the times. Things go up, they go down, they go up again. Summer turns to winter turns to summer again. Nobody's job is doomed, I assure you. The timing just has to be right.

Latest posts

Back