Shigefusa kitaeji vs honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

y32dsm

Reaction score
Both are in a close price range. What would you buy?
I haven't try any honyaki, so I really wonder what I can get from a good honyaki from a reputable blacksmith?
Shigefusa kitaeji is around $1000, and I think I can the good honyaki with this money.
I only tried Shiggy kasumi so far, but I don't think there is much difference between kasumi and kitaeki other a damascus pattern.

I'd grab the honyaki, shigs are an inflated market atm, 1k would get you a beautiful honyaki gyuto with enough money to spare for a custom handle/saya.

If there will be a great honyaki with custome western style handle. I will dream for it. Lol

As well as looking at Japanese made honyakis, it's worth having a look at Mert's work. Beautiful knives with exceptional fit and finish.

Be honestly I want to know is there any secrets in the craftmanship from traditional Japanese crafts man. Otherwise we straight away choose customer making honyaki nowadays so many western custom maker making honyaki blade as well. And I have to say they much more attractive than traditional honyaki gyuto.

Back