Quantcast
The ice cream thread
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The ice cream thread

The ice cream thread

Just curious about some ice cream-related questions and thought I'd start a thread for everything around it. So, the three questions that come to mind:

- What is your favorite commercially available ice cream?
    - If you make your own, can you share a recipe?
    - Any recommendations on affordable ice cream makers for the home?

Thought about this while eating some Haagen Dazs White Chocolate, Raspberry, and Truffle which has become my absolute favorite recently.

Stefan

The best ice cream I can remember was a Turkish Coffee from a place in upstate NY. I wish I could remember the producer. It was fabulous. Not Ronnybrook Farms, although their stuff is great.

My commercial 'go to' is Ben & Jerry's Coffee Heath Bar Crunch, although a little sweet.

There's a guy in Jersey called Mr. Green Tea who makes some really great Japanese flavours.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Flavors Ive made:

chocolate
    vanilla
    french vanilla
    caramel
    strawberry
    blueberry ripple
    coffee
    white coffee
    peach
    mint chip
    green apple
    ginger
    cilantro lime with jalapeno
    pumpkin pie
    cheesecake
    earl grey
    white miso with lemongrass
    beet
    parsnip
    port
    snickers
    capn crunch berry both the crunch flavor and the crunch berry
    cookies and cream
    cinnamon
    white chocolate macadamia
    pistachio
    coconut
    black peppercorn
    pink peppercorn
    popcorn

and endless variations by infusing say ginger with peach or mint with chocolate or by adding texture like caramel coins or marshmallow swirls.

Im sure there are more flavors as well not even beginning to count sorbet and sherbet. Ill add more as I remember them but this is a good starting place. I can share base recipes as well later on.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Step 1: get a Paco-Jet...
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

That's a nice list. I assume that with a nice set of base recipes, a lot can be improvised. BTW, what is the difference between vanilla and French vanilla? As for the Pacojet - I may have to define 'affordable'...

Stefan

I generally hate ice cream, but will eat it when it is very cold out. I like spicy in the summer and cold in the winter.

I like some of the boozier flavors from Amy's in Austin. But outside of that, the new Five Mint from Hagen-Dazs is great.

I was just thinking of this the other day. During the summer I usually eat fresh fruit and in the fall I eat more ice cream as I am in denial that summer is leaving.

The best unique ice cream I have tried was bread and pistachio ice cream that is a specialty in the port town of Aden in southern Yemen. Mmmmhh. And the best ice cream I make is peanut butter. I actually hate peanut butter on its own, but I love peanut butter ice cream and it is really easy.

As for more gourmet ice creams I've made: sweet corn, pear and pecorino, and avocado. And the next ones I want to try are: sage, olive oil, black pepper-vanilla, ginger root-cardamon, and roquefort-honey.

The stranger ideas/combos I want to try: coconut-curry, tabasco, and bourbon-corn flakes. I hear in Japan they have a really good wasabi ice cream too, but I bet they use fresh wasabi.

Just FYI, I have David Liebovitz's book, The Perfect Scoop, and it is a great resource for making your own.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

My tastes in ice cream are pretty pedestrian -- vanilla, peach with fresh, local peaches, that kinda thing. I was given a counter top Cuisinart ice cream maker, and make it fairly regularly. My recipe is 3 cups of half and half, 3/4 cup of sugar, and a generous splash of vanilla. The vanilla is critical. My sister goes on medical mission trips every year (she just returned from Ecuador), and when she goes to Haiti or the Dominican Republic, she brings back vanilla that will blow your socks off. That's all we use.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

My favorite as a child was grape but it is mow hard to find. A couple of years ago I had root beer ice cream and it was great but also hard to find. My favorite Hagen Daz was vanilla Carmel latte but they discontinued it (in Canada any how) now my go to is dulcee or chocolate peanut butter.

Anybody ever have/made Guinness ice cream?

+ Reply to Thread