Quantcast
Konosuke HD or White #2?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Konosuke HD or White #2?

Konosuke HD or White #2?

I'm in the market for a new 270mm gyuto and having a hard time deciding between the HD and the White #2 from Konosuke. Both with ebony wa-handles (HD is around $45 more). This will be my first non-western handled knife and potentially my first carbon blade. It is to be used at work with plenty of time to wipe it down after I use it (I work in a upscale natural market, so it's all basically prep.). Any thoughts?

I have a Konosuke white 270 gyuto. Great knife, wicked edge etc. What are you going to cut with it? If it is a lot of acidic stuff/fruits I'd go with a HD to be on the safe side (just one homecook's opinion).

Well speaking for the Kono white #2, it's a hell of a knife. Very light and and very thin, it also takes a very good edge. Retention is good I can get a good two days out of my edge when I prep at work (also includes use at home some night, but that is polished up to 12K then stropped) It will take a patina rather fast. Mine had a full patina after about a day and a half. I do own a Kikuichi TKC 240 which is semi. That takes a very good edge and keeps it well. Others should comment for the HD which I hear is a great knife in its own. Hope this helps.

I have the 270 gyuto in white#2(and 300 wuji) as well as a 270 HD suji. Both are truly fantastic, and you will be thrilled either way...no doubt about it. I used to be a carbon-only guy, but I'm starting to favor semi-stainless steels nowadays because the edges don't corrode as quickly in regards to acidity and they can take almost as good of an edge as the white#2--so I say go with the HD in that respect.

However, because you don't have a carbon knife yet, the white#2 might be a better choice so that you can experience it all...used to be my favorite steel. In fact, I just sharpened my 270 gyuto last night (i've been planning on selling it) for the first time in a while, and I've found a completely new love for it again...I think my sujis will be on the back burner for a bit while I play with this.

It really is a toss up.

I favor the HD for a gyuto or petty; carbon for sujihikis....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Great replies, thanks guys. Part of me really wants to experience the carbon edge. A few other considerations:
    -This knife will see lengthy runs of board time
    - I have a relatively fine "classic/sapphire" Dickoron hone that I use pretty much before every session (works well with my Ginga Gesshin).
    Will the carbon (harder heat treat?) respond ok to the hone vs. the HD which I assume should be fine?

I would go with something stainless for fruits and veggies all day everyday type work. I don't know about the steeling part... usually I would just retouch my knife on a 6k and 10k everyday. Keeps the muscle memory and knife sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by memorael View Post
    I would go with something stainless for fruits and veggies all day everyday type work. I don't know about the steeling part... usually I would just retouch my knife on a 6k and 10k everyday. Keeps the muscle memory and knife sharp.
    I do have a Shapton 8000 that I use last in sharpening, so I could use it to hone. I've just always used a honing rod at work. I'll give the stone a try on Fri, thanks for the tip

I use my HD for days on end without touching stones; a quick couple minutes on a 5000k gets her whistling!

For extended board use, again I suggest the HD over the carbon....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I favor the HD for a gyuto or petty; carbon for sujihikis....
    may i ask why??

i agree with you for the gyuto and suji, but im still taking a good long look at the steel for my petty. im going to have a suji and petty set custom made for me and would like as many opinions as possible for my projects

+ Reply to Thread