Sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDalman

Unsupportive Member
Reaction score
I made a little video as there was a request. Simple basic stuff really, but I figure it's not bad to show what it looks like when I sharpen. Most talk is almost ramble, that the burr falls off on a 1k because it's carbon steel... I don't know where I was going with that haha, as that happens woth aeb-l as well with a little more care taken. I was cut off but it was only a bit of stropping on balsa loaded with green, and a little arm shaving, not important stuff. Any questions welcome as always.
https://youtu.be/oDOkvimabSs

Thanks Robin. it's really good to see how experts do it and the variations in technique that still work- helps to figure out which techniques I like/ will use.

Did I get the impression that the low angle sharpening (what other people might call thinning) would be a little more intensive with knives that aren't as thin as yours?

Thanks Robin. it's really good to see how experts do it and the variations in technique that still work- helps to figure out which techniques I like/ will use.

Did I get the impression that the low angle sharpening (what other people might call thinning) would be a little more intensive with knives that aren't as thin as yours?

Good to hear it's helpful :)

I guess it depends on what changes you want to do to a thicker knife. Just changing the shape rounding the "shoulders" of a edge upwards will usually help performance a great deal. Do a little and evaluate if you're going to sharpen more for food release or ease of cutting. Sometimes you manage to get both attributes better :)

That makes sense.

Am I correct in my impression that you begin your sharpening behind the edge (I won't say "thinning") with a medium stone (1000 grit or so)? I guess if you are doing it every time you sharpen, you don't need to remove a lot of metal, so a coarse stone isn't required?

You said "thinning" 😱

Yea, if the 1k does the job I don't bring the knife to coarser stone, thinning as you go this usually works. Also going to the 1k during working with coarser stones can be a tool to evaluate and see how close you are to your edge, as I avoid raising excessive burr on coarser stones.

Back