Thread: Sharpening

Sharpening

I made a little video as there was a request. Simple basic stuff really, but I figure it's not bad to show what it looks like when I sharpen. Most talk is almost ramble, that the burr falls off on a 1k because it's carbon steel... I don't know where I was going with that haha, as that happens woth aeb-l as well with a little more care taken. I was cut off but it was only a bit of stropping on balsa loaded with green, and a little arm shaving, not important stuff. Any questions welcome as always.
    https://youtu.be/oDOkvimabSs

Very insightful video - thanks Robin. Makes your response in "Edge Leading Finishing/Deburring" all the more understandable.

Thanks Robin. it's really good to see how experts do it and the variations in technique that still work- helps to figure out which techniques I like/ will use.

Did I get the impression that the low angle sharpening (what other people might call thinning) would be a little more intensive with knives that aren't as thin as yours?
    Looking for a signature that won't land me in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Thanks Robin. it's really good to see how experts do it and the variations in technique that still work- helps to figure out which techniques I like/ will use.

Did I get the impression that the low angle sharpening (what other people might call thinning) would be a little more intensive with knives that aren't as thin as yours?

Good to hear it's helpful

I guess it depends on what changes you want to do to a thicker knife. Just changing the shape rounding the "shoulders" of a edge upwards will usually help performance a great deal. Do a little and evaluate if you're going to sharpen more for food release or ease of cutting. Sometimes you manage to get both attributes better

That makes sense.

Am I correct in my impression that you begin your sharpening behind the edge (I won't say "thinning") with a medium stone (1000 grit or so)? I guess if you are doing it every time you sharpen, you don't need to remove a lot of metal, so a coarse stone isn't required?

You said "thinning" 😱

Yea, if the 1k does the job I don't bring the knife to coarser stone, thinning as you go this usually works. Also going to the 1k during working with coarser stones can be a tool to evaluate and see how close you are to your edge, as I avoid raising excessive burr on coarser stones.

Thanks again for your insights Robin.