Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to grind a single bevel knife

How to grind a single bevel knife

A friend has a standing request for a single bevel gyuto or kiritsuke from me. I'm going to try making a honesuki or deba for myself before attempting a gift for him. My question is how should it be done on the grinder?

I only do stock removal, so I'm guessing that I'd grind the distal taper into my profiled blank first, then grind a flat bevel from the hand side all the way to the other side so the edge is not centered but at the opposite hand blade face? Or do traditional single bevel j-knives not have distal taper?

Also, is there a disadvantage to grinding say 99/1 instead of doing the traditional uraoshi? If doing the ura, I'd try the top wheel on my Grizzly 1x30 or perhaps sandpaper on a shaped wood block, but to be honest, if 99/1-ish asymmetry gets a result close enough, that works for me...

Interesting! Haven't seen a homemade single bevel yet. Curious.

MB, Ive no special knowledge of this but I'm very interested to see how it goes.

Does the ura contribute to food release?

I wonder whether hamiguriba sharpening will be any more difficult without a soft iron layer? I guess it's not going to be as hard as sharpening a honyaki single bevel. What sort of steel are you going to use?

Keep us updated.
    "My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my knives for what I told her they are worth"

Hmmm.. I'd want to do the ura someway anyway.. Maybe you could bend the blade pre HT to warp it like that for ura.? I have made a couple and I wouldn't want to do it without a 2x72 and flat flat platen.
    Email preferred to pm; Robin@dalmanknives.com
    I answer new inquirys once per week.

Jess that poem is priceless!

You don't grind straight across. You will slightly twist your wrists. You also approach the wheel at slight angles. using the radius of the wheels is important to getting the grind correct.