Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to grind a single bevel knife

When I grind single bevels, I do it on a radius platen on my belt grinder. Without that or a large contact wheel or wet grinding wheel that Dave posted, I dont know how else to do it. maybe a specially made Sen or something along those lines??

Cool vids. Always like watching stuff made by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    When I grind single bevels, I do it on a radius platen on my belt grinder. Without that or a large contact wheel or wet grinding wheel that Dave posted, I dont know how else to do it. maybe a specially made Sen or something along those lines??

I haven't ground a single bevel myself but I have re-ground quite a few and what I use (like yourself) is a radius platen.

I also really like to use (wait for it)......LOL.....a rubber hand sanding block.......under the belt.
    The curved part of the block has quite a few radius(s) built into it so I can sort of click in to whatever the maker did. I'm not so sure it'd work well for grinding from step #1.

Thanks Robin, Jess, Dave, and J.M. for the practical info! When I get around to making this single bevel, I'll try doing the ura since it seems important to further sharpening.

To confirm, a single bevel edge will not be centered with respect to the spine, right?

Quote Originally Posted by milkbaby View Post
    Thanks Robin, Jess, Dave, and J.M. for the practical info! When I get around to making this single bevel, I'll try doing the ura since it seems important to further sharpening.

To confirm, a single bevel edge will not be centered with respect to the spine, right?
    Yes, If you lay a very well made single bevel URA side down it will sit flat with the spine at a 90 degree angle.

I have not done a distal taper on Gyuto. For single bevel, I flat grind using a holding fixture for precision on the primary grind. After calculating the geometry of the bevel height, I set the correct grinder work rest angle and grind down to .030". Then sharpen to 15 degrees for the secondary grind. I only work with high carbon steels and Hitachi Blue No. 2, so I can obtain a extremely sharp kitchen blade with this technique.