Quantcast
Cleaver question
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaver question

Cleaver question

I few years ago when in the height of my knife purchasing obsession, there were a few knives that were more impulse than anything else. Fittingly, my Suien cleaver is one of them. After attempting to use it, I found the handle very clumsy and just plain ugly to look at. After not much though, off she went to the shop and had her scales removed.

After settling down, I realized that there was no plan in place, nothing in the works for this neglected gal. So, here it goes... What shape/ material/ configuration, etc... would you choose if this were your knife. I'm open to all suggestions and input. Thanks.

I think I would do a Butch Harner style handle, something like this probably in palm:

hmm... that wouldn't be a bad idea, now that I think about it. uh oh...

Palm sounds good. I was kicking the idea around alongside with some black locust burl or pollyanna burl.

I can't post a picture here. However if you can find the tread on Fish handles you will see a couple he did for me. The best feeling handles for a cleaver I've ever felt. He did a Suien VC and a Masahiro M3.
    --
    Joe

Thank you Joe, I have actually been looking for those pictures and have come up empty handed.

* I did find an awesome piece of Manzanita burl that looks promising in one of the many crates of wood in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Thank you Joe, I have actually been looking for those pictures and have come up empty handed.

* I did find an awesome piece of Manzanita burl that looks promising in one of the many crates of wood in the shop.
    I'm speaking more of the shape than materials. I actually owned 3 by Fish, all different materials but the same basic shape.
    --
    Joe

i have probably the same suien cleaver sitting in a box downstairs. i have the VC vegetable cleaver and just do not like the handle as well. using and learning the cleaver grip helped a little but it just doesnt work like i wish it did. it was a gift from my wife so could never sell it but i would like to get some use out of it as it gets a wicked edge. it is a little tall but hey, in due time it could get better with some work on the stones (sounds like another project) and eventually flatten out the belly just a little along with trimming down the profile.

i would like to hear what people would say about handles for this knife as well

i seriously need to get a cleaver.

I actually really like the big, beefy WA handle on the DT ITK mid-tech cleavers, really comfy, lots of control, the balance is still very blade heavy, but less extreme than some.
    You could grind the tang down and do a wa-conversion.

[IMG]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/**************_2179_1437002[/IMG]
    Last edited by Justin0505; 10-06-2011 at 02:35 AM. Reason: oh... the forum is sensoring certain text now... well you know where to go if you need to see a picture...

Quote Originally Posted by joec View Post
    I can't post a picture here. However if you can find the tread on Fish handles you will see a couple he did for me. The best feeling handles for a cleaver I've ever felt. He did a Suien VC and a Masahiro M3.
    http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...light=fish+poi

I did an advance search on this forum as i recalled that there is a tribute for the King (of handles) by Dave.