Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Home espresso machines

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Hi everyone,

I want to canvass opinions about high quality home espresso machines. I currently have a 10 yr old Saeco Incanto fully automatic which is ok for a fully automatic machine but I wonder how long it has left. I'm thinking that a manual or a semi automatic macine might be the go next time, but I want to be able to make great espresso with it.

Thanks for your experience & opinons.
    check out homebaristaforum.com and you should be able to find all the extra info you need. Manuals take a while to get adjusted/comfortable with but will give you more control as well as quicker feedback. You'll probably have to get a new tamper or at least a new sized head, obviously, you can forgo getting a bottemless portafilter by sawing the end of one with a pvc saw btw. Great espresso is made with great beans and an even greater grinder so hopefully you have those covered before you decide to spend 3grand. Though I would recommend the Linea Mini if you can, I mean why not. Really I wouldn't worry about the machine so much, spending like 1000 (manual) 1500(maybe E61, but semi-automatic with duel boiler should be do-able) should put you in the ballpark of something good but whatever machine you get will require getting used to. At least in that range you know it's not the machine. A word of caution the search for the god shot can lead to coffee addiction, also if you've never used a semi-automatic do some youtube searches for baristas showing you what to look for as you pull your shots and adjust accordingly, and manuals will be a b**** of a learning curve.

Thanks DDP.
    "My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my knives for what I told her they are worth"

In my opinion, the best coffee machine with a great price to performance ratio is a Breville BES870. It is a manual and it gives you great crema. a great grinder is equally or not more important in my opinion than the machine. with great grinder and fresh coffee beans even a Bialetti Brikka can give you great espresso.

Thaks s0real. I have read some very good reviews of their performance. A few of the reviews (mainly from USA from memory) commented on poor reliability and after sales service. Nonetheless, given the orice point, it's tempting to take the chance.

A couple of our local coffee houses sell Expobar machines which I have read some quite good reviews on. Not cheap though. Any opinions?
    "My greatest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell my knives for what I told her they are worth"

No problem Nemo, i am not sure about the performance of Expobar but if you want a non mainstream coffee machine, get an Italian made like Rincilio or Gaggia. However those machines take practice and tuning but definitely worth the money. My sister who is a coffee shop owner swears by them or if you have money to throw get a la marzocco mini.

Quote Originally Posted by s0real View Post
    In my opinion, the best coffee machine with a great price to performance ratio is a Breville BES870. It is a manual and it gives you great crema. a great grinder is equally or not more important in my opinion than the machine. with great grinder and fresh coffee beans even a Bialetti Brikka can give you great espresso.

Not that it's a brand that screams quality like a Rancilio or a Gaggia (had the latter previously) but bang-per-buck in the sub $1k category, it's hard to beat. A couple of friends have them as well - no complaints over three years. Super easy to use and that's a great thing in the morning. Service centre in Coburg.

Edit: Should say it is important to use filtered water if possible and to de-scale once a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Marek07 View Post

Not that it's a brand that screams quality like a Rancilio or a Gaggia (had the latter previously) but bang-per-buck in the sub $1k category, it's hard to beat. A couple of friends have them as well - no complaints over three years. Super easy to use and that's a great thing in the morning. Service centre in Coburg.

Edit: Should say it is important to use filtered water if possible and to de-scale once a week.
    Yeah, it's pretty high in the bang for your buck stakes.

Descale weekly? Wow. Melbourne water isn't that hard is it? My current machine only tells me to descale about once a year (although we are on rainwater much of the time).

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    ... Descale weekly? Wow. Melbourne water isn't that hard is it? ...
    Yep! Although Breville call it decalcifying. I mentioned water quality being critical earlier in the thread, just like all the other components - beans, roast, grind, dosing, tamping. We have a dual-filter providing drinking water plus I use a filter in the espresso's water tank. The machine makes >40 shots a week and I regard it as part of normal maintenance & cleaning - no harder than caring for a carbon knife. ;-)
    Only takes around 20min, most of it unattended.

YIKES! I don't want to poo on anyone's parade but I would not consider breville to be able to produce a quality espresso without being so proficient that you can compensate for all it's mediocrity. Sure it's good and if you don't buy beans you are roasting yourself or come from a roaster who varies the roast/bean variety then sure get a breville generic in color of beige.

Expobar is not some unheard of name, so if you think that: it's equivalent of calling a Wustof at costco the same as a Misono. Both of those brands can be carried over to a Breville : Expobar comparison.

Again please do not think I hate anyone or are attacking your preferences. But really the lack of input of quality is bothersome. Again go to http://www.home-barista.com/forums/ and get yourself situated ie. read the site and ask your questions there, they will nerd out on you and you may be getting a somewhat biased to a particular machine, but overall they have had experiences with different machines that can give a more complete input.

Once again no offense to the people on the thread or the site but gee gosh golly the things I'm reading are making me cry.

I dunno, I read a lot of recommendations for Silvias, Mazzer grinders, etc., as well as multiple recommendations for visiting home-barista.com. And also learned there are quite a few GS3s around on KKF.