Calling out all Doi owners

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khashy

Reaction score
I was just wondering what Doi knives people own and whether they actually use them (and on what)?

Given their heirloom-esque status post master Doi's retirement, I figured maybe these are becoming drawer queens.

I own a Doi yanagi, was my only yanagi until recently. I don't use it every day like u used too, actually need to send it off to someone more skilled than I am for a little love. Have been considering getting it rehandled and retiring it, but it is a tool after all and was made to be used not necessarily hung on a wall to collect dust.

I'm awaiting to get my hands on a 300mm B2 yanagi and a 270mm W2 Kiritsuke which are currently sitting with a friend across the pond. I'll likely get them when I travel to Philly next as I just don't trust anyone to bring them actoss for me.

I agree about the knives being tools to be used but I know that I won't.

At the risk of getting a told off here, I just know that I'll enjoy these visually when they do arrive.

I got a suisin hayate kizuna (special line specifically for charity to benefit tsunami relief) by keijiro doi 270mm lefty kiritsuke and I kept it on my magnetic knife block for about two months before I finally decided to use it a week ago to cut a block of tuna for a hawaiian poke recipe. Immediately wiped and oiled it afterwards and no patina, but this is the sort of knife I would only use on special occasions (since I very rarely cut fish).

I have a 270mm shirogami kiristsuke and don't use it very often because it's not everyday there is raw fish to cut around here, but it is used several times in a year. By the way, it cuts splendidly.

I got a suisin hayate kizuna (special line specifically for charity to benefit tsunami relief) by keijiro doi 270mm lefty kiritsuke and I kept it on my magnetic knife block for about two months before I finally decided to use it a week ago to cut a block of tuna for a hawaiian poke recipe. Immediately wiped and oiled it afterwards and no patina, but this is the sort of knife I would only use on special occasions (since I very rarely cut fish).

I saw the picture os yours. Sooo nice. Now I'm tempted to fly across to Philly just to collect the knives

I have a 270mm shirogami kiristsuke and don't use it very often because it's not everyday there is raw fish to cut around here, but it is used several times in a year. By the way, it cuts splendidly.

Interesting to see that people mostly have shirogami's.

Hi i also own a 300mm Aogami2 Doi Yanagiba and its used often for Sashimi.
I actually only use that knife for that. i dondt have any other knife that fits in my hands so perfectly when you take it in your hands.
At the moment it needs a full resharpen because i wrecked the edge when i gave it a new finish. No Problem! As mentioned its a tool for me and Doi made exceptional tools, and finally a job for all my stones ;)
As it was one of my first knifes i wrecked it multiple times and its original finish, but its just a tool. It never got any patina from cutting salmon or other fish (of course wiped and dried it directly like its supposed to be done)

Best regards, daniel

Hi i also own a 300mm Aogami2 Doi Yanagiba and its used often for Sashimi.
I actually only use that knife for that. i dondt have any other knife that fits in my hands so perfectly when you take it in your hands.
At the moment it needs a full resharpen because i wrecked the edge when i gave it a new finish. No Problem! As mentioned its a tool for me and Doi made exceptional tools, and finally a job for all my stones ;)
As it was one of my first knifes i wrecked it multiple times and its original finish, but its just a tool. It never got any patina from cutting salmon or other fish (of course wiped and dried it directly like its supposed to be done)

Best regards, daniel

Is there a notable difference between his 'low temperature forged' aogami and one from another maker?

I'm curious to know what the difference is between 'Yakidoshi' and a normally forged B2 in real life.

I have owned the 300 B2 Doi for several years now and use it regularly to process hundreds of pounds of a variety of fish filets a year. It is only used on pre-processed, bones out filets as both my processor and I much prefer a Standard Filet knife to do the bone/skin removal. I love the Doi B-2 blade as it holds it's edge beautifully and cuts well. I have had Jon at JKI sharpen it once and have found it is not hard to maintain the edge during and after use. I do feel a history to the blade when I wield it but that can also be in my own mind... A great place to be. Yanagiba's are not for everyone.. In truth, they are not for most folks as a Suji can do so much with a different mind set. But that is very much a personal thing. I have even considered getting a longer version of the Doi to use with some of my larger filets. However, for those of us who love the history of these blades, they are simply awesome and the 300 works beautifully 99.9% of the time.

Jamie

I have a 16,5 aogami single bevel petty. Fantastic, long edge holding, very sharp knife. I use it at least once a week.

Thnx all. Seems like the reactivity is not an issue and they are getting used.

I'll be sure to report back if I ever use mine (well if I get delivery first that is)

Good Idea!
I guess Mr. Doi would be sad if his tools are not used as intended! ;)

I found mine pretty reactive on juicier meats and tuna. Use it less for juicier meats like crusted steaks because the crusts aren't so hot on single bevel edges. On the few occasions where I'm cutting fish, it's a transcendental experience.

Transcendental - brilliant [emoji6]

Mine don't get too much use:

300mm numbered Doi birthday knife with funny nose, ebony
300mm "light" regular type. Never did find any inperfections
270mm numbered, ebony

They tend to be thick in comparison to the three shig yanagis I have, so these see more use. The thing I don't like is that it is so easy to blemish the mirror finish on the table of the knife and it is pretty much impossible to get that cleaned up. Even a leftover finger print. For most cooking, the smaller ones see use in trimming meat and the larger for trimming and skinning salmon. The Doi's are very beautiful knives though so I don't regret owning some.
s.

Mine don't get too much use:

300mm numbered Doi birthday knife with funny nose, ebony
300mm "light" regular type. Never did find any inperfections
270mm numbered, ebony

They tend to be thick in comparison to the three shig yanagis I have, so these see more use. The thing I don't like is that it is so easy to blemish the mirror finish on the table of the knife and it is pretty much impossible to get that cleaned up. Even a leftover finger print. For most cooking, the smaller ones see use in trimming meat and the larger for trimming and skinning salmon. The Doi's are very beautiful knives though so I don't regret owning some.
s.

I take it these are aogami right?

I take it these are aogami right?

Yes. Though, the 80th birthday knives were a batch of 20, ten of which I think were blue, and ten, white, ten wa, ten regular, I think. There use to be a youtube; someone visited Korin and recorded a showing of these knives. I haven't been able to find it. Some dork sounds like he is going to have a heart attach when the women unveiled some of the knives.

Yes. Though, the 80th birthday knives were a batch of 20, ten of which I think were blue, and ten, white, ten wa, ten regular, I think. There use to be a youtube; someone visited Korin and recorded a showing of these knives. I haven't been able to find it. Some dork sounds like he is going to have a heart attach when the women unveiled some of the knives.

This would be gold if you could dig it out.

Apart from the thickness, how do your Doi's compare with other yanagis in terms of the actual steel.

I know the theory of why forging at colder temperatures is preferable but I'm trying to figure out how noticeable it is.

[video=youtube;zOZW1DWyhEI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOZW1DWyhEI[/video]

This is not the one I was looking for, but it shows the knives prior to delivery. Eight years ago.... sh1t, I am getting old too too fast!

This is not the one I was looking for, but it shows the knives prior to delivery. Eight years ago.... sh1t, I am getting old too too fast!

I'm not a fan of the western handles on yanagis but these make them actually look decent.

But the one with the blonde ferrule at the beginning is sexy!

I also found this, might be the one you refer to with the reaction when they open the box:
[video=youtube;qidnTM5PcCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qidnTM5PcCc[/video]
[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qidnTM5PcCc[/video]

Yep...that's it! I had one with the western handle, by mistake, and switched with whomever got my knife. I would be tempted to keep the western if that happened today.

I have a 270mm Suisin Hayate, used and loved for about 4 years now. Definitely the knife I've used the longest, though it's primarily used only in the mornings. Refinished the bevel on my fav stone just to take this pic. It usually looks much ugiler than this. Took like 2 hours... Made some mistakes but got too lazy to fix them.
http://imgur.com/a/hU8UA

It says 93 on the back. If someone could remind me of the significance of these numbers that would be awesome haha. http://imgur.com/a/zQw1t

I have a 270mm Suisin Hayate, used and loved for about 4 years now. Definitely the knife I've used the longest, though it's primarily used only in the mornings. Refinished the bevel on my fav stone just to take this pic. It usually looks much ugiler than this. Took like 2 hours... Made some mistakes but got too lazy to fix them.

It says 93 on the back. If someone could remind me of the significance of these numbers that would be awesome haha. http://imgur.com/a/zQw1t

that looks like a beauty to me and i think the number 93 is the serial number of the knife, if i'm not wrong.

Well I'm no expert but I certainly can't spot any mistakes here. Looks pretty damn gorgeous to me

that looks like a beauty to me and i think the number 93 is the serial number of the knife, if i'm not wrong.
the number editions were part of a limited run of 100 for the Knife, I think. I have # 16
16Kanji16.jpg

16.jpg

I don't know how many 100 runs he did, but I have #65 on the 270s. I tried to get a group together for the 20 knife run, on this forum - obviously went all over the planet - but only got a one or two responses suggesting that not every knife knut subscribes.

Back