Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: are your carbon skillets JET BLACK?

heat will burn off the seasoning easily.

My cast irons (12" Lodge and an old 10.5" Wagner) stay black, and if they ever get a spot that isn't I reseason with oil in the oven. The Lodge was preseasoned of course but wasn't nonstick until I did a fair bit of cooking in it. My carbon steel (12.5" Mauviel) doesn't stick but isn't completely black yet (2 months or so, cooking a lot of meat with various fats on the stove and in the oven). I'm not worried about it - after I did the recommended initial seasoning water would just bead up and fall off and I haven't gotten any rust spots. My CS wok has some black spots, some brown, and in fact a lot of it is still shiny -- of note, though, is that I oil that one after washing before putting it away. I'll eventually figure out how to do pictures and post some.

Administrator
    Blacker than the inside of a bruised crow.
    Older and wider..

whoa. i think meat is the answer.

i seared a few slices of skirt steak and it got way darker!!

Bacon is king! My cast iron skillets are very black by now and a good part of it is thanks to me using only the cast irons to cook bacon (I actually only did bacon for a while and now everything and anything is game)

Just be careful using bacon on a newly seasoned pan, the sugar in the bacon can cause it to stick and remove some of the seasoning. This is why I recommend ground chuck at first and then move on to bacon and such.

Quote Originally Posted by bkultra View Post
    Just be careful using bacon on a newly seasoned pan, the sugar in the bacon can cause it to stick and remove some of the seasoning. This is why I recommend ground chuck at first and then move on to bacon and such.
    Now that you bring that up, I did have to be careful the first few times and re-season some of my skillets to make sure the season was uniform. Good to know about the ground chuck.

Here are a couple of my Matfer carbon steel pans. They've lost some of the black seasoning over time, probably from acidic cooking, but they're both still non-stick as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    mac..yup.
    On a mac, go to the Finder and under utilities look for Grab. Then at the menu options at the top when you bring it up, you can choose capture and choose selection which then will copy whatever you click and drag the mouse around.

I have four Lodge cast iron pans that I bought new and a double burner griddle. Only the griddle is black because it's the only one that was used every day for a while.

I used to worry about the seasoning not being jet black, but they all work good enough for me that just cook and don't worry about it any more. I wouldn't mind having a nice carbon steel skillet, but I'm out of space. All my pans sleep in the oven until I need to use them or use the oven...