Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: DMT diamond stone too aggressive for sharpening?

DMT diamond stone too aggressive for sharpening?

Gave my pops a Haburn for Christmas, talked him out of using his belt sharpener that he uses for chisels, told him he should use a stone he's thinking of using his DMT, would that be to aggressive?

What grit dmt does he have ? They come from extra course to all to way to very fine

Comes down to "How Sharp is Sharp"

My wife will not let me sharpen the house knives past 3k as she want more feedback on the cut and feels this level is suited for her. Drives me nuts but I use my own knives in the kitchen, when I can.

Buy him a couple of waterstones as a New Years present.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

He's got oil stones that he used to sharpen his old Sabs with, he has since moved to the array of DMT 's.

Administrator
    I started this with DMT plates and still use them for hunting knives, German kitchen knives and other peoples knives. I have the "Duo" stones and typically will go from coarse then fine, then maybe xfine. Like to finish with a whetstone, typically 1.2K Bestor or other 1 - 2K stone. For me key is to come off the DMT and go to ceramic of about same grit to remove any deep scratches.

For the Haburn, he may want to finish on a 4 - 6K stone. Puuuuuuuuuleeeeseeeee don't don't belt sand the Haburn
    Older and wider..

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    I started this with DMT plates and still use them for hunting knives, German kitchen knives and other peoples knives. I have the "Duo" stones and typically will go from coarse then fine, then maybe xfine. Like to finish with a whetstone, typically 1.2K Bestor or other 1 - 2K stone. For me key is to come off the DMT and go to ceramic of about same grit to remove any deep scratches.

For the Haburn, he may want to finish on a 4 - 6K stone. Puuuuuuuuuleeeeseeeee don't don't belt sand the Haburn
    Oh don't worry, I've talked him off using the belt

The DMT extra fine is listed as an 8K, feedback I've heard is it gives about a 3K finish till it's broken in, after much use, and then is no better than 6K. So long as he understand you don't sharpen a knife like a chisel, and what Dave and Rick said.

I have a couple big DMT xf and xxf plates. They leave a finish similar to 1k and 6k for me , although they may be rated differently. There was a 4K plate available as well. They do ok but they give no feedback when using. I don't use them much any more. If he's likes DMT's , these would be work for the task.