Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beginners (soft) Vs experienced (Hard) Jnat

Quote Originally Posted by foody518 View Post
    @erezj you can try your Nakayama koppas on a kitchen knife's small primary bevel, see the swarf/ mud development, let the stone dry, and then do the same with your kanna blade, see if there's a difference in what happens
    There is obviously a huge difference ! when I sharpen my Heiji (wide bevel) I get much more swarf, same as with the Kanna, I assume its 99% softsteel, but the mud it creates helps with that 1% which is the cutting edge.

when I run the Shig, I will usually create some mud with nagura first.

Good info Nut, you always have good insight.

@foody 518 true about sunashi. So maybe not the best example. But I guess you get the general point 🤓
    - Kim

I just tried my stone that is very similar to the stone your are after... almost identical except mine is thinner.

Its soft enough to create mud on it's own.. not that fatest to generate mud but shouldn't be an issue and not nagura required

leaves a good edge on the knife

I believe what he is saying is that the stone you were considering is far too hard (and hence slow cutting) to jump from an aoto to working on it to get a good finish in a reasonable time. The use of a synthetic stone before, even at the same grit, will do all but the polishing.

The point of saying you need more experience before using hard naturals is simply that they cut VERY slowly, and unless you can maintain very good or excellent angle control for long periods of time (ten minutes or more!) without a single too high wobble, you are going to undo a lot of work on lower grit stones by rolling the edge over or making an un-intended micro bevel.

Never going to be a problem for me, as I won't ever be spending that much money on a stone, but if you are, take the advise of the seller, he knows what he's talking about.

Peter

I generally always use my jns 6k before my natural finishers. Even if just for touch ups, a few passes on a 4-6k synthetic, before moving onto your suita or awasedo will benefit.

During touchups- The crumbling/rolling a thin edge by accidentally hitting at a higher angle than the bevel is at is something that's been kicking my butt a bit recently moving onto more naturals (slower cutting) and in general harder finishers without good slurry buffer/faster cutting action