Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gyuto for newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Edilomot View Post
    By modern steel you didn't mean vg10 or sg2 ?, because my Shun vg10 chipped a lot (my wife hehe)
    Don't have any experience with steels only from reading and all pointed that white#2 holds edge less and is more reactive, blue#2 could be a problem for my wife thats way I don't want to spend a lot.
    But I'm open for stainless steel but J handle no western.

-The difference in edge retention between white steel and blue steel is miniscule.

-Japanese knives are alot harder than euro knives, which means they have less shock absorption, so they are in fact going to chip easier than softer steels if you abuse them. Youre mistaken if your reasoning for wanting a harder steel is so your wife can get away with abusing it more.

-Dont underestimate the pain-in-the-ass of having to wipe your blade after every time you cut something, which is what you will be doing with white and blue steels

- Not every knife of the same steel is created equal, it matters more about the skill of the craftsman than the type of steel they used

- Shuns in general are POS

- You can find plenty of stainless in wa handle

What is G3, please send pics, is new or used.
    G3 is stainless, i believe. Its practically brand new, ive only used it for a few minutes a couple times.

Of course pkjames but was very late or early and was thinking of pyjamas hehe. PM him so far no responded, they are out of stock so have time for searching.
    I think James is away but is coming back tomorrow.
    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef_ View Post
    G3 is stainless, i believe. Its practically brand new, ive only used it for a few minutes a couple times.

G3 is ginsan 3 or ginsanko 3. Made by Hitaci. It's a fully stain resistant steel at 14-15% Cr. Like VG10, it has about 1% C, but no Mo, V or Co. It's supposed to be easier to sharpen than VG10 (I only say supposed to be because I've actually never sharpened either steel myself), but this will depend to a significant extent on the maker.

It's thought of as a high quality stainless.
    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

I have one of these in 240 and would recommend it unreservedly.
    If you have a chance to buy this, then jump on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Chef_ View Post

Thx again just lately short of time but now have even more question.