Gyuto for newbie

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edilomot

Reaction score
Hi, looking for Gyuto 210 mm for now because will share with my wife so 240 mm could be too long, here a little more info:

1. Right hand
2. Not professional home cook
3. For meet, fish, veggies....basically universal
4. Japanese handle
5. Blue #2 but if possible covering with layer of stainless steel to help with maintenance (my wife)
6. Wood cutting board
7. Good for slicing and chopping
8. Price between $150- $200 but target to be closer to $150
9. With knife I'll get sharpening stones and take care knife myself.
10. Sharp from the box and nicely finished (handle and blade)

For now I've Shun Classic Chef's 8", and he will be my tester when comes to sharpening for now before I touch my new baby. Looking for Blue #2 steel, because I want to knife which holds better edge and will be easier to sharpening then vg10 and less liable to chipping.

For now what I found:
Gihei gyuto blue #2, 210 mm

Thank you,

Ikazuchi 210mm, ask JKI to put the initial edge on it so you have something nice to start with and work off of\
Have some oil for the handle and your wooden board

Where you from Edilomot? The postage and taxes in different countries will significantly affect the recommendation in this price range.

When you say "chopping", do you mean rock chopping (lifting the heel while keeping the tip on the board)?

Have you looked at the stainless clad Tanakas?
http://www.knivesandstones.com/tana...lad-210mm-with-custom-octagonal-ebony-handle/

Currently out of stock but you could PM James (pkjames) to find out when he expects more.

You could also check out this recent thread: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...hiji-(ie-polished)-stainless-clad-gyuto-exist

foody518

Don't take that wrong but it is important how the knife will look also and profile of Ikazuchi isn't nicest I saw so far but if you have others let me know please.

Nemo

I'm from NY, still practicing my cutting skills but my wife would be a problem, knife can't be laser thin, so solid knife. Does Tanak's line you suggested are made specially for James, I know Tanaka's quality as the finish not blade is rough, looks like that line is higher end. What is the high of the blade and waight.
Also, looks like Tanakas blue 2 with Profile is less flat compare to Damascus, did I pick that correctly and is that will be a problem in regular usage.

I haven't used the Tanaka B2s, but they have been discussed a lot lately, including in the thread I linked to. They seem to be one of the few options that fits your bill at the moment.

I agree that you don't want a laser if you're rock chopping. It's not a 'wrong' technique, it just doesn't suit thin hard knives with a flattish profile as well as it does heavy, soft Euro knives.

James rounds (not just eases) the spine & choil in the Tanakas, then puts a really nice handle on them.

Another option is to get in touch with Jon at JKI. He did mention that he had some stainless clad carbon coming in I think. Being that you're in USA, I assume that postage from LA shouldn't be too bad.

If you are happy to consider a mild kurochi finish (over a stainless clas blue2), it is probably worth looking at Tadafusa and JCK Blue Moon (which are very similar knives, possibly the same).

Unfortunately I will stick to J wa handle, also I need very universal Gyuto with blade which forgive a lot, I'll defianatly go for more advance knife but now need everyday horse.

Honestly, I like this one, just would like read a little or heard something about this one, so far I know that Tanaka made great knives for their price but blade and handle need some touch ups.
I can spend more then $200 but want to make one step at the time and after Shun get J gyuto from mid price like plus $150 and start my adventure from there. I want also Utility, paring, bread knives but will ask in different post for suggestions, it is important that knives are going to get now will needs some "treatment of heart" and they will give back on cutting board.

What kind of look and profile are you looking for?

Sleep just posted pics with what profile I will be happy, hope that 210 mm have nice flat surface to, looks like pajamas solved all problems with Tanakas so I PM him to see when Gyuto will be available.

Blue steel is overrated, dont underestimate the performance and convenience of modern stainless steels.

Your wife isnt going to want to constantly wipe the blade off and remove rust marks just to make dinner.

Have you looked into Gesshin Ginga yet, i own quite a few japanese knives and none match the performance of this knife. They also have some in white#2 if youre commited to buying carbon steel.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/products/gesshin-ginga-240mm-stainless-gyuto

Sleep just posted pics with what profile I will be happy, hope that 210 mm have nice flat surface to, looks like pajamas solved all problems with Tanakas so I PM him to see when Gyuto will be available.
Auto-correct fail!
pkjames becomes pajamas (pyjamas?) Don't think James will live that one down. :D
But seriously, James' line of Tanakas has addressed many, if not all of the F&F issues they were know for. I'm very happy with my Blue 2 kurouchi gyuto - the custom handle is an added bonus.

I own a tanaka 210 in G3 up for grabs if youre interested.

For the 270mm it's about 55mm and 270g. No idea what the 210 specs would be.

K&S also have these- http://www.knivesandstones.com/syousin-chiku-ku-gyuto-210mm-aogami-super-stainless-cladding-by-kurosaki/

The SS clad Tanaka B2 is a very sound choice. Beware they'll go fast when they come in stock!
The Syousin Chiku by Kurosaki is a very good back up plan just incase.

The Masakage Yuki from Knifewear was recommended in another thread. I thought it might work for you? If it does it could be another back up too.

Hope you are able to catch one of the Tanakas when they become available. :thumbsup:

Blue steel is overrated, dont underestimate the performance and convenience of modern stainless steels.

Your wife isnt going to want to constantly wipe the blade off and remove rust marks just to make dinner.

Have you looked into Gesshin Ginga yet, i own quite a few japanese knives and none match the performance of this knife. They also have some in white#2 if youre commited to buying carbon steel.

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/products/gesshin-ginga-240mm-stainless-gyuto

By modern steel you didn't mean vg10 or sg2 ?, because my Shun vg10 chipped a lot (my wife hehe)
Don't have any experience with steels only from reading and all pointed that white#2 holds edge less and is more reactive, blue#2 could be a problem for my wife thats way I don't want to spend a lot.
But I'm open for stainless steel but J handle no western.

Auto-correct fail!
pkjames becomes pajamas (pyjamas?) Don't think James will live that one down. :D
But seriously, James' line of Tanakas has addressed many, if not all of the F&F issues they were know for. I'm very happy with my Blue 2 kurouchi gyuto - the custom handle is an added bonus.

Of course pkjames but was very late or early and was thinking of pyjamas hehe. PM him so far no responded, they are out of stock so have time for searching.

The SS clad Tanaka B2 is a very sound choice. Beware they'll go fast when they come in stock!
The Syousin Chiku by Kurosaki is a very good back up plan just incase.

The Masakage Yuki from Knifewear was recommended in another thread. I thought it might work for you? If it does it could be another back up too.

Hope you are able to catch one of the Tanakas when they become available. :thumbsup:

Masakage, nice collection but in white#2 and price range above for now what I'm ready to spend. Already blue will be a problem with my wife so stainless clad is necessary.

To all from above, big thank you for helping me, more you share from your experience more I learn and FOR FREE hehe. But seriously, links where can I buy for good price and what I learned so far is priceless for me and planning and hoping to "use" you again and again- thank you.

Masakage, nice collection but in white#2 and price range above for now what I'm ready to spend. Already blue will be a problem with my wife so stainless clad is necessary.

To all from above, big thank you for helping me, more you share from your experience more I learn and FOR FREE hehe. But seriously, links where can I buy for good price and what I learned so far is priceless for me and planning and hoping to "use" you again and again- thank you.

The Masakage Yuki 210 gyuto is only 160$ and it's SS clad, but if the W2 doesn't work for you then it's a no go.

Back