Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gyuto for newbie

Gyuto for newbie

Hi, looking for Gyuto 210 mm for now because will share with my wife so 240 mm could be too long, here a little more info:

1. Right hand
    2. Not professional home cook
    3. For meet, fish, veggies....basically universal
    4. Japanese handle
    5. Blue #2 but if possible covering with layer of stainless steel to help with maintenance (my wife)
    6. Wood cutting board
    7. Good for slicing and chopping
    8. Price between $150- $200 but target to be closer to $150
    9. With knife I'll get sharpening stones and take care knife myself.
    10. Sharp from the box and nicely finished (handle and blade)

For now I've Shun Classic Chef's 8", and he will be my tester when comes to sharpening for now before I touch my new baby. Looking for Blue #2 steel, because I want to knife which holds better edge and will be easier to sharpening then vg10 and less liable to chipping.

For now what I found:
    Gihei gyuto blue #2, 210 mm

Thank you,

Ikazuchi 210mm, ask JKI to put the initial edge on it so you have something nice to start with and work off of\
    Have some oil for the handle and your wooden board

Where you from Edilomot? The postage and taxes in different countries will significantly affect the recommendation in this price range.

When you say "chopping", do you mean rock chopping (lifting the heel while keeping the tip on the board)?

Have you looked at the stainless clad Tanakas?
    http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanak...-ebony-handle/

Currently out of stock but you could PM James (pkjames) to find out when he expects more.

You could also check out this recent thread: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ad-gyuto-exist
    Looking for a signature that won't land me in trouble

foody518

Don't take that wrong but it is important how the knife will look also and profile of Ikazuchi isn't nicest I saw so far but if you have others let me know please.

Nemo

I'm from NY, still practicing my cutting skills but my wife would be a problem, knife can't be laser thin, so solid knife. Does Tanak's line you suggested are made specially for James, I know Tanaka's quality as the finish not blade is rough, looks like that line is higher end. What is the high of the blade and waight.
    Also, looks like Tanakas blue 2 with Profile is less flat compare to Damascus, did I pick that correctly and is that will be a problem in regular usage.

I haven't used the Tanaka B2s, but they have been discussed a lot lately, including in the thread I linked to. They seem to be one of the few options that fits your bill at the moment.

I agree that you don't want a laser if you're rock chopping. It's not a 'wrong' technique, it just doesn't suit thin hard knives with a flattish profile as well as it does heavy, soft Euro knives.

James rounds (not just eases) the spine & choil in the Tanakas, then puts a really nice handle on them.

Another option is to get in touch with Jon at JKI. He did mention that he had some stainless clad carbon coming in I think. Being that you're in USA, I assume that postage from LA shouldn't be too bad.

Also, if you are happy to consider a yo (western) handle, this probably opens up a few other options.

If you are happy to consider a mild kurochi finish (over a stainless clas blue2), it is probably worth looking at Tadafusa and JCK Blue Moon (which are very similar knives, possibly the same).

Unfortunately I will stick to J wa handle, also I need very universal Gyuto with blade which forgive a lot, I'll defianatly go for more advance knife but now need everyday horse.

Would avoid extensive rocking with not just lasers, but anything that is particularly thin at and behind the edge