Anyone have any experience with old school manual wheels?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Talking about something like this. No real description of the stone itself other than 'red Italian sandstone'. I'm researching making my own horizontal grinding wheel, but am always looking for other options, especially that aren't mechanized like a tormek et al (just like complicating my life, and am a traditionalist).

Thanks.

If it's like the old ones around here (which were typically sharp sandstone from Wisconsin, I think) they are moderately hard "sharp" silicate stones that will glaze if you aren't careful.

They do a decent job on carbon steel, and are less effective on tool steels or powdered metal steels, won't usually overheat the edge, and are slow as one would expect. You would need to dress it fairly often depending on the bond strength of the stone, the old one's I've seen are fairly soft so keeping them round and flat is more of an issue than de-glazing, they aren't going to be spinning that fast.

I personally think they are more of a novelty than a useful too, but there isn't any real reason not to try one unless it means you can't afford eat for a couple monthsif ou bu one.

Peter

If it's like the old ones around here (which were typically sharp sandstone from Wisconsin, I think) they are moderately hard "sharp" silicate stones that will glaze if you aren't careful.

They do a decent job on carbon steel, and are less effective on tool steels or powdered metal steels, won't usually overheat the edge, and are slow as one would expect. You would need to dress it fairly often depending on the bond strength of the stone, the old one's I've seen are fairly soft so keeping them round and flat is more of an issue than de-glazing, they aren't going to be spinning that fast.

I personally think they are more of a novelty than a useful too, but there isn't any real reason not to try one unless it means you can't afford eat for a couple monthsif ou bu one.

Peter

Great, thanks for the feedback. Thought they'd likely be very slow, and more of an attraction than anything, but they certainly look fun to use.

Back