Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1k stone hunt

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    whats the result?
    At the moment I would agree with Lars: The JNS 800 is the best stone I've used in this range as far as cutting power, coloring of jigane, and feel. It needs soaking though and does dish quickly. I'm starting to suspect that getting many of these characteristics in a splash-and-go just isn't feasible.

he was referring to the $400 super special 800grit diamond stone

@ why feedback important in lower grit, because i detest sharpening that much and want it to suck as little as possible

I would indeed suggest the Chosera 800. The Naniwa Pro is if possible denser and less dishing.

Gesshin 1.2k splash and go is a very nice stone. Cuts fast, doesn't dish too much and feels good. Feels nice though not Chosera feel. I only sold mine when I shifted to naturals.

I'd go with the Gesshin of what I've tried...of stones I've not tried, I think I'd go for a Shapton pro but mainly out if curiosity...I know someone so uses then for tools so I'll get you some eventual feedback.

One other thought is more expensive and a soaker but I think the Gesshin 2k would make you smile the most...and it's fast.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Gesshin 1.2k splash and go is a very nice stone. Cuts fast, doesn't dish too much and feels good. Feels nice though not Chosera feel. I only sold mine when I shifted to naturals.

I'd go with the Gesshin of what I've tried...of stones I've not tried, I think I'd go for a Shapton pro but mainly out if curiosity...I know someone so uses then for tools so I'll get you some eventual feedback.

One other thought is more expensive and a soaker but I think the Gesshin 2k would make you smile the most...and it's fast.
    Yeah, I miss 2k gesh. Isn't it on the hard side?

Jck have a combo 400 /1200 so far the best medium grit I ever had, unfortunately it s a combo and need to be soaked.
    Agreed about the chosera 1k, that stone it s just to slow.
    Right now I am using a shampton glass 1 K and I enjoy using it s lot, but it's to slim.

Just wondering people finding the 800 Chosera or Naniwa Pro particularly slow??

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    I've been using a chosera 800 for a while now and have found no problem with the speed that it sharpens.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    What are you wondering about I wonder? It is a slow stone. It has other benefits like feedback and nice scratch pattern for grit. If it was marked ~1500 I would be happy with it.

What about Chosera/Pro 400 then - it is pretty nice to sharpen on and finishes more like 6-800 grit..
    I used to go Chosera 400 --> Chosera 2K --> Superstone 5K and that worked just fine even though the SS is a pita tu use.

Lars