Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 1k stone hunt

Panda, have you tried using a fine diamond stone (for example Atoma 1200) on the Watanabe AI 1000? Mine felt much nicer afterwards...

haha, cheers lars.

benny: i have not tried that, i only have atoma 140. that seems like a compromise though, i'm looking for straight up usage.

Yeah that really did the trick! And would be a cheap solution for better feedback.
    On a 1 hour direct comparison with JNS1000 there was suddenly not a real big difference anymore.
    I used a worn out DMT and a worn out Atoma600 that are also fine for finishing jnats.

Because of the insane shapingpower of the stone it could drill away anything besides diamondplates.
    Sorry i wrote so many posts in the past days that you loose any sight of the OP

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    haha, cheers lars.

benny: i have not tried that, i only have atoma 140. that seems like a compromise though, i'm looking for straight up usage.
    I don't mean that you have to do that repeatedly, once did the trick. Perhaps the 140 will do it...

Edit: Perhaps you could also start on Atoma and then try a hard mid grit jnat...

Yeah I do initial flattening on all new stones

Administrator
    I've got DMTs thru xf (correlates to 1200 (I think)) if you want to give Krassi's approach a go.
    Older and wider..

Well the 1,2 k cut pretty fast and does not load that much, nice finish on the carbon steel knives.
    The 400 grit side was a bit to soft, wear off fast, didn't like it like my chosera 400.

The Sigma Select 2 1200 stone should fit your needs.....

it is faster then chosera, but a little softer, nice feedback.... No loading, but it wears too fast for my likes.....

The Pro stones from Naniwa are littel faster then chosera, but only testet 800, 5000 and 10000......

Greets Sebastian.

1k stone hunt

Posted in wrong thread
    Last edited by JBroida; 01-10-2017 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong order thread

Just to add a negative data point, I bought a JNS1K on the basis on many favourable comments; it was intended to be my workhorse stone in a 2 stone sequence (second stone, the lovely Suehiro Rika 5000).

The JNS (in fact) gave me close to zero abrasion/feedback on a VG-10 knife, nor my JCK Carbonext. The only way I could make it do anything useful was to use a fragment of King 6000 stone as a pseudo-nagura.

I no longer use it, and should probably sell it.

BugBear