1k stone hunt

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what i am after is a bit of a unicorn.
FAST cutting, but with EXCELLENT feedback, absolutely NO loading. preferably splash & go.

my current is watanabe ai1000. it's probably the fastest 1k out there but i'm afraid the feedback is not good enough for me.

i have on order a king hyper #1000 from japan but that'll take weeks to arrive via SAL. this is a soaker so will be permasoaked.

according to my research i need to get a chosera 800. i love the 400, hated the 600, and 1k too slow. maybe 800 is the sweet spot.

if you can think of any other contenders that fit my criteria please comment. keep in mind i am very picky when it comes to stone feedback.

Diamonds for speed, chosera 1k... That's what I like.

you completely disregarded my criteria.
diamonds horrible feedback, and i said cho 1k is too slow.

forgot to add, i like feel of shapton glass 1k, just needs to be a little faster

Maybe this?

Although this benefits from a quick soak, it can totally handle S&G.

Diamonds are (forever) S&G, so that might be your best bet. Most magnesia based stones like the Choseras synth stones are solely S&G because otherwise they'd fall apart after a short while.

I've tried jki 1k diamond and while miles better than dmt it's still very much diamond feedback.

Tell me about the gesh 1200. How's the speed, what's feedback like? I'd be more interested if it were 800 grit. How prone to loading?

Doesn't have to be s&g, just that soakers tend to dish quicker than I'd like. This is for use in pro environment for quick touchups, not much time for flattening.

I've already told panda that the gesshin 1200 is the PERFECT stone for him. Splash and go, cuts fast, feedback is nice-not quite chosera nice but nice. Could somebody back me up here?

you completely disregarded my criteria.
diamonds horrible feedback, and i said cho 1k is too slow.

forgot to add, i like feel of shapton glass 1k, just needs to be a little faster

I know that's not directed at me, and although I can't speak from experience since I don't own one, not all diamonds have horrible feedback - the JKI vitrified diamond stone is extremely highly regarded on this forum at least, and seems to fit your bill except being 800, which is pretty close.

Missed the Chocera being too slow. Sorry. But look for magnesia based stones for S&G,

To be fair, everything from jki is highly regarded so I take it with a grain of salt..
That one is too expensive.

I'm betting (hoping) that once I get a cho800 my problem will be solved, lol.

Great thread. This is exactly what I've been seeking-----for 5 years. Good luck......

Cho 800 is sloow slooooow slow.
If you want a really fast stone and especially S&G feedback should be your 3rd concern. At the end of day you will not spend much time on a super fast stone.

Also JNS1K is similar to Cho800 IMHO slightly faster with slightly worse feedback.

JNS800 is fast and great feeling, but dishes and needs soaking..

Lars

Watanabe Ai#1000 best 1k synthetic IMHO
i got used to it and its more versatile than the JNS1k .. but having both is even better! ;)

To be fair, everything from jki is highly regarded so I take it with a grain of salt..
That one is too expensive.

I'm betting (hoping) that once I get a cho800 my problem will be solved, lol.

So you want the perfect splash and go stone that excels in all categories but don't want to spend more than $75? Btw both chosera 800 and gesh 1200 cost $75, so how is gesh is too expensive?

whats the result?

At the moment I would agree with Lars: The JNS 800 is the best stone I've used in this range as far as cutting power, coloring of jigane, and feel. It needs soaking though and does dish quickly. I'm starting to suspect that getting many of these characteristics in a splash-and-go just isn't feasible.

he was referring to the $400 super special 800grit diamond stone

@ why feedback important in lower grit, because i detest sharpening that much and want it to suck as little as possible

Gesshin 1.2k splash and go is a very nice stone. Cuts fast, doesn't dish too much and feels good. Feels nice though not Chosera feel. I only sold mine when I shifted to naturals.

I'd go with the Gesshin of what I've tried...of stones I've not tried, I think I'd go for a Shapton pro but mainly out if curiosity...I know someone so uses then for tools so I'll get you some eventual feedback.

One other thought is more expensive and a soaker but I think the Gesshin 2k would make you smile the most...and it's fast.

Gesshin 1.2k splash and go is a very nice stone. Cuts fast, doesn't dish too much and feels good. Feels nice though not Chosera feel. I only sold mine when I shifted to naturals.

I'd go with the Gesshin of what I've tried...of stones I've not tried, I think I'd go for a Shapton pro but mainly out if curiosity...I know someone so uses then for tools so I'll get you some eventual feedback.

One other thought is more expensive and a soaker but I think the Gesshin 2k would make you smile the most...and it's fast.

Yeah, I miss 2k gesh. Isn't it on the hard side?

Jck have a combo 400 /1200 so far the best medium grit I ever had, unfortunately it s a combo and need to be soaked.
Agreed about the chosera 1k, that stone it s just to slow.
Right now I am using a shampton glass 1 K and I enjoy using it s lot, but it's to slim.

Just wondering people finding the 800 Chosera or Naniwa Pro particularly slow??

What are you wondering about I wonder? It is a slow stone. It has other benefits like feedback and nice scratch pattern for grit. If it was marked ~1500 I would be happy with it.

What about Chosera/Pro 400 then - it is pretty nice to sharpen on and finishes more like 6-800 grit..
I used to go Chosera 400 --> Chosera 2K --> Superstone 5K and that worked just fine even though the SS is a pita tu use.

Lars

Back