Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 1k stone hunt

Quote Originally Posted by bugbear View Post
    Just to add a negative data point, I bought a JNS1K on the basis on many favourable comments; it was intended to be my workhorse stone in a 2 stone sequence (second stone, the lovely Suehiro Rika 5000).

The JNS (in fact) gave me close to zero abrasion/feedback on a VG-10 knife, nor my JCK Carbonext. The only way I could make it do anything useful was to use a fragment of King 6000 stone as a pseudo-nagura.

I no longer use it, and should probably sell it.

BugBear

When the stone is new, you likely need to abrade it a bit too get to useable surface...

once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    When the stone is new, you likely need to abrade it a bit too get to useable surface...
    Yes - that was suggested when I told my take of woe else where; It's been extensively/repeatedly flattened, to no avail. The behaviour is what it is.

BugBear

Quote Originally Posted by bugbear View Post
    Just to add a negative data point, I bought a JNS1K on the basis on many favourable comments; it was intended to be my workhorse stone in a 2 stone sequence (second stone, the lovely Suehiro Rika 5000).

The JNS (in fact) gave me close to zero abrasion/feedback on a VG-10 knife, nor my JCK Carbonext. The only way I could make it do anything useful was to use a fragment of King 6000 stone as a pseudo-nagura.

I no longer use it, and should probably sell it.

BugBear
    Are you sure you are hitting the edge? Mine is pretty fast both on carbon and on stainless. Not the fastest there is, but much faster than my previous 1k, a Mizuyama 1k stone. By the way, do you see any black slurry showing up?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo Amaral View Post
    Are you sure you are hitting the edge? Mine is pretty fast both on carbon and on stainless. Not the fastest there is, but much faster than my previous 1k, a Mizuyama 1k stone. By the way, do you see any black slurry showing up?
    What does "hitting the edge" mean, please? (I even checked the jargon glossary)

EDIT: I googled, and found it; yes, I'm pretty confident, I use a "trick" (don't ask) so that I freehand sharpen at very repeatable angle, and I don't have this lack-of-abrasion issue on other stones.

(that difference would it make anyway - at the risk of an ugly double negative, it doesn't matter where I'm not getting abrasion)

BugBear

marcelo, mizuyama, that is the stone from korin? they also have a togiharu house brand 1k that looks like a rebranded king deluxe.

Hi there bugbear, what i meant is that your stone could be abrading, but not at the right place (the edge). If you are getting a black slurry in your stone, it is abrading metal. Now, you'll only need to adjust the angle to get it right. If you paint your edge using a sharpie pen, you may see if you are hitting the edge. If you are positive the stone is not abrading anything, you might give Maxim a head's up and see what's going on.

Hi Panda. Yes, Mizuyama is the stone from Korin. The problem is that i don't think you'll like it very much as it is slower than JNS 1k. The feedback is great in my opinion ( it feels grainier/sandier than King). Never used Togiharu, but it sure looks like King!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo Amaral View Post
    Hi there bugbear, what i meant is that your stone could be abrading, but not at the right place (the edge). If you are getting a black slurry in your stone, it is abrading metal. Now, you'll only need to adjust the angle to get it right. If you paint your edge using a sharpie pen, you may see if you are hitting the edge. If you are positive the stone is not abrading anything, you might give Maxim a head's up and see what's going on.
    Ah, I see. No, no black slurry, no friction, no metal removal. :-(

BugBear

king hyper 1000 arrived and it is awesome. its single best trait is completely immune to clogging. it's hard and doesn't dish, good feedback and cuts pretty fast too. it could be slightly faster and feedback could be more silky, but it's right below the sweet spot on those two points and that's perfectly ok as this is a great compromise. i don't think i could ask for much more than what this stone brings to the table in terms of balance of the traits i look for.

i can't believe nobody talks about this stone, i guess cause it's a king people think 'why even bother?'

this will be living in its own dedicated third pan pond happily permasoaking near the sink.

Is hyper a different stone compared to regular King (Deluxe)?