A thread about grits

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoiledbroth

Reaction score
Let's talk about grits baby...

Hominy or yellow?

What do you eat on or in your grits (I'm partial to chevre mixed through)

I've just rediscovered my love for grits recently... Looking for inspiration and ideas. I plan to buy hominy next time around so perhaps I don't even really know grits yet.

Everything panda said....I also like puréed roasted garlic and fresh bay leaves. Also, beer is fantastic in grits(Newcastle for instance).

Lately I've been going through a bag of Jimmy Red Grits from Geechie Boy mill. Tasty! I'm a sucker for shrimp and grits, broth with the shrimp shells, some tomato paste, trinity, bay leaf and some thyme. Simple, but always a hit at our house. Or like chinacats, butter+s+p is delicious :)

I like any of Geechie Boy mill's grits, but I have to: my grandmother had a house a few miles from there, and I spend as much time as possible on Edisto. (Not that anyone else should. Terrible place. Barren rock. Stay away. Etc.)

I saw that jimmy red corn on mind of a chef, if I recall Sean Brock ground his own or something.

I really like the idea of beer in grits, thanks labor.

Sounds like general consensus is I will require some skrimps

Shrimp can't hurt, though scallops, damn near any fish, and pork shoulder or belly help too, especially if they're cooked with/cured with/brined in bourbon. (I remember you're not a big meat guy. But.)

Does anyone bother to soak their grits? Or keep them in the fridge?

guanciale with parm and egg yolk aka carbonara but in grit form.

bacon, collared greens (heavy on sherry vinegar) and fontina

if you want to play with your own ingredients a good guide is:
lots of fat, a creamy non grainy cheese, and a strong primary flavoring ingredient.

always garnish with green onions and/or chives

I've tried making shrimp grits with dashi. :sofa:
Wasn't half bad; picked up a little smokey taste from the dashi.
I know daveb is shaking his head right now. :biggrin: What do I know? I'm from Jersey.

[video=youtube;bM0DXaRZL1Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM0DXaRZL1Y"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM0DXaRZL1Y[/video]

White and Yellow, kept in the fridge. We have ours shipped from "The Old Mill" in Pigeon Forge, TN. Still stone ground and to me theirs is just a bit more toothy.

I'm with Chinacats - nothing better than a dab of butter and some salt and pepper.

However, when I'm feeling fancy I bake them a bit firmer (like polenta, which is Italian for grits :)) in a lasagna pan about two inches thick, spread marinara on top and some shredded parmesan and bake until bubbly and delicious. Think I know what one of my sides is for tomorrow!

Ecchef - you nailed it, exactly.

Difference between grits and polenta?

Grits are a buck as a side.

Polenta is a $10 "accompaniment "

shuitakey mushrooms, butter with salt and pepper

I'm a big fan of grits in any form but instant, but to be honest I keep a few packets in the pantry in case I need something while I'm on the run.

My go to grit is the Anson Mills antebellum quick yellow.

Doesn't take much to make me happy though, just some salt/pepper/butter and occasionally cheese and I'm good to go.

Today's one of the last days of shrimping season in town so I may just have to do shrimp and grits tonight.

Hey cschoedler - thx for reminding me with Anson Mills ... just pulled out some of their Blue Grits from my freezer that this thread got me thinking about ... 'shrimp and grits' for me tonight as well (just not nearly as yummy as "last day of shrimpin season" grits you will have ... very jealous ...

Remember ... pic's or it didn't happen :doublethumbsup:

FWIW - I also had those amazing "Art & Soul a la tkern" grits (lucky enough to be there before he skedaddled) and would LOVE the recipe!!!

TjA

Couldn't wait until dinner so I ran down to the docks and picked up some shrimp.

http://m.imgur.com/U6qfKyu

http://m.imgur.com/aChfYn0

http://m.imgur.com/lx0YDSW

Didn't have Anson mills but I did have geechee boys white grits. Not sure if I posted the pics correctly or not but the knife in the picture is a Suisin Inox 210 petty if that gives you an idea on the size of shrimp.

Shrimp are off the Miss Paula out of Shem Creek

I'm a big fan of grits in any form but instant, but to be honest I keep a few packets in the pantry in case I need something while I'm on the run.

Heathen. Dude seriously! I mean if you run out of wallpaper paste maybeeeee

I'm a northerner born and bred. I remember with great clarity the first time I had grits (my southern grandma made them for breakfast during a visit). I was 7. It is the first food memory I have.

I also have learned NEVER to order grits above the mason Dixon line without asking if they are instant or not (shudders) I had to choke down instant grits once because we don't waste food when we go out to eat.

No, just no.

this thread got me craving grits so i opened a pack to soak
WP_20170109_17_34_43_Pro_zpskcpj8etp.jpg~original

Back