Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The best supplement for my Takeda AS Gyuto 240?

The best supplement for my Takeda AS Gyuto 240?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, and I hope that I'm posting in the right category .

I originally made a post in the CKtG forum, but unfortunately big parts of the forum got deleted.

11 years ago I bought a Takeda AS Gyuto 240 which I'm using every single day. It's my only Japanese knife, and has become my favorite tool in the kitchen.

I use my Takeda for most tasks, but sometimes I find my self in need of a smaller knife.

I'm not a collector, and the price doesn't have much impact on my decision as I rarely buy a new knife.

What I'm looking for is a carbon steel knife with good edge retention and a Japanese style handle. I have been looking at the TOYAMA NOBORIKOI where Maxim has a 180 petty damascus in stock now.

Is this a good decision, and what would you recommend?

Best
    Niels

That's a good knife. If you want something cheaper a takamura r2 150mm petty would be a nice choice. Small enough for in hand work, detail work and slicing cooked protein. It's very thin 1.4-1.5mm at the heel and around 31-32 mm tall. Cheapish at 120. Most people recommend stainless for petties due to the nature of their job

It really depends on how you intend to use it. If you want a smaller knife with knuckle clearance for board use I'd recommend a Bunka (I have one from Kurosaki in aogami and I find it wonderful) or a petty of knuckle clearance is not important or necessary.

Maybe even a Nakiri if you like that shape

I think the OP is looking for carbon, R2 is stainless right? Toyama is a great choice, also check out munetoshi at JNS, they have a 165mm petty you might like. Jon at japanese knife imports has an assortment of kochi carbon Pettys you might dig too along with other smaller blade types.

What will you be cutting with a smaller knife? I often grab 150mm petties to slice fruit or for smaller tasks...

Thank you so much for your replies!

I'm thinking of using it for tasks where i feel that the 240 gyuto is a bit to big. An example could be parting up a chicken or slicing up a mango or an avocado.

Knuckle clearance is not deadly important for the tasks I will be using it for, but I always feel it a bit annoying when it isn't there. Another alternative might be a smaller gyuto?

If its not strictly for in hand work a light 180mm gyuto or 165mm santoku might be what you are looking for. Note, that santoku is less suitable for delicate tip work.

Quote Originally Posted by nkbitsch View Post
    Thank you so much for your replies!

I'm thinking of using it for tasks where i feel that the 240 gyuto is a bit to big. An example could be parting up a chicken or slicing up a mango or an avocado.

Knuckle clearance is not deadly important for the tasks I will be using it for, but I always feel it a bit annoying when it isn't there. Another alternative might be a smaller gyuto?
    I would grab a 180mm petty if I were you. 150mm if you want in hand cutting/210mm for board, somehow a 180mm does a half ass job at both.

I think a 130 to 180 mm knife from tall petty, bunka, or mini-gyuto is a great knife when you don't want to bust out a 240. On a recent four day vacation trip, I did meal prep for 8 people with just a 130 mm petty and a 160 mm bunka for every cutting, chopping, slicing, and peeling task in the kitchen. And though I brought both knives along, I would've been fine with either one alone.

Toyama and Munetoshi get a lot of love here, but I am waiting to try a Munetoshi 240 gyuto myself. I think you will probably be good to go with a petty as supplement to your gyuto.

Alternatively, I think daveb has an Ealy line knife on sale at a really good price in the BST board.

All you comments are very helpful, thank you! I might have a look at the Ealy, though I see it's 210. I'm not familiar with the Ealy line. What kind steel is it, and who makes it?