Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The best supplement for my Takeda AS Gyuto 240?

So now it seems that I might actually be up for two knives :sly:

Quote Originally Posted by nkbitsch View Post
    So now it seems that I might actually be up for two knives :sly:
    There is a special knife for every task- it can be endless...

If you have a sharp petty for many smaller tasks, you might not want it for cutting around chicken joints and bones when you part out a chicken. A honesuki is ideal for this.

If you cut up enough chickens, it's worth getting. I use it for chicken soups, tagines, curries, stews and other dishes where I want to break down to pieces, to strip meat using the carcass for stock, or to carve up a roast chicken.

Is it the lack of rotational leverage that makes >150mm petties feel so halberdy and long?

Quote Originally Posted by nkbitsch View Post
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum, and I hope that I'm posting in the right category .

I originally made a post in the CKtG forum, but unfortunately big parts of the forum got deleted.

11 years ago I bought a Takeda AS Gyuto 240 which I'm using every single day. It's my only Japanese knife, and has become my favorite tool in the kitchen.

I use my Takeda for most tasks, but sometimes I find my self in need of a smaller knife.

I'm not a collector, and the price doesn't have much impact on my decision as I rarely buy a new knife.

What I'm looking for is a carbon steel knife with good edge retention and a Japanese style handle. I have been looking at the TOYAMA NOBORIKOI where Maxim has a 180 petty damascus in stock now.

Is this a good decision, and what would you recommend?

Best
    Niels
    180 petty is a damn good option and Toyama is a good maker. If you are good at sharpening and won't mess up the damascus, it would be a top knife for a long time.

Other options would be a 180 Gyuto if you like height and knuckle clearance. Watanabe does a stainless clad Pro carbon blade and is similar to a Toyama. He has very nice damascus too.

Lastly, a 150-160 honesuki is a great option for a smaller size and quite different to the Takeda Gyuto in use and style.

I personally would go petty 180 or Gyuto 180 if I stopped at two knives. Honesuki if I stretched to three

Also, if you love sharpening carbon, stick with carbon!

This is another petty I would recommend
    https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...asumi-wa-petty

So I ended up buying the Toyama 180 petty Damascus today, even though I got a bit tempted by some of the other great recommendations. It was twice as expensive as the regular 180 petty, but as it is a knife that I'm going to use every day, I thought it should be a little special. I can't wait to receive it, and I will post a picture as soon as it arrived. Thank you once again!

Good call. Now starts the pain of waiting for it.

A good buy and wish I could afford it!

You are right! I'm entering the painful process of waiting now. I have a little side-question that probably should have had its own thread, but I'm wondering. Does the value of a knife increase or decrease in value if the original handle is removed and it is professionally re-handled?