Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Serving, Charcuterie, Cheese, and Other Board Type Examples

Serving, Charcuterie, Cheese, and Other Board Type Examples

In addition to face/edge/end grain boards meant primarily for cutting, I also make a variety of serving trays, charcuterie and cheese boards, as well as some unique bread board and live edge designs. These boards are not designed for heavy cutting, while some certainly can be used for that, they are primarily for light cutting, serving, and presentation.

Below are a few examples of these types of boards:

Here is a bread cutting board made from Cherry. A serrated bread knife can easily scar, chip, and take chunks out of a flat wooden cutting board. This board is designed with v-grooves to allow the knife to easily cut completely through the bread (they do a good job at catching the crumbs too):

Living at the coast, these serving trays are pretty popular with stainless steel boat cleat handles:

A few live edge Tiger (Curly) Maple boards:

A tray from Quarter Sawn White Oak and reclaimed Black Walnut:

Sapele and Maple:

Walnut and Padauk:

Live edge Spalted Elm:

Santos Mahogany and Ash:

Thanks for looking!

GEORGEOUS!!!

Good food is essential, where knives are an integral part of the process.

Really nice boards. Colors look great too, but you can keep that Cutco to yourself ;[)
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Really nice boards. Colors look great too, but you can keep that Cutco to yourself ;[)
    Thank you! Haha, actually like their bread knife and filet knife (for use on the boat only), but that's about it!

Here is a bread cutting board for a KKF member that was looking for something using local wood to tie them back to the time they spent in the Carolinas.

In turned out I still had some reclaimed American Cherry that fell during Hurricane Fran in 1996 on a local Muscadine farm, was milled on site, and air dried for 20 years in a tobacco barn before I ran across it.

The customer was actually in SC during Hurricane Fran and was evacuated because of it, so I think it's a pretty neat full circle kind of story that goes with this piece.

The bread board is made with grooves that serve multiple purposes. The grooves allow air to circulate around a loaf of fresh baked bread instead of creating steam and potentially soggy bread. The other main purpose is for easy bread slicing allowing the knife to slice completely through the bread without resistance from whatever surface would typically be beneath. If you didn't know, a serrated bread knife can cause significant damage to a wood cutting board and can be dulled quickly by a glass/bamboo/etc board. A side benefit is the catching of a good amount of bread crumbs that are created from bread slicing.

That bread board above arrived today Matt and man, in person, it far surpasses any picture. I think you may have just forced me to start making more bread. This is one fine bread board. Thanks Matt!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pachowder View Post
    That bread board above arrived today Matt and man, in person, it far surpasses any picture. I think you may have just forced me to start making more bread. This is one fine bread board. Thanks Matt!!!!
    Awesome, glad you like it!

A few more bread cutting boards finished up recently. These are all Oak and Walnut.