Has anyone ordered from buttermilk recently?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked the same question months and months ago. Seems he was changing location and kinda fell off the map. I have placed several phone calls and emails that have not been returned. I really wanted to buy a couple knives from him.

Shigehiro :)

Me too. Couldn't get one from him and bought a Toyama instead. Love the Toyama so I'm not too bummed. Epicedge has them as well under Ikeda name. Not sure it is the same line though.

Just purchased a Shigehiro before New Years. No problem delivered in about a week.

Great. How do you like it?

Great fit and finish. They use blonde horn which I really like. Balance is a little forward the handle. I have only had the opportunity to use it once, but liked how it performed. Definitely glad I purchased one.

The 210 white 2 I would have preferred but it was sold out. 270mm Gyuto way to big for me. I'm a lowly home cook.

When I ordered, I did not receive any specific communication until a shipping notice was emailed. It took about 4-5 days I seem to recall for the knife to be shipped.

Sam hasn't answered any emails, phone calls or messages here or on any media. The buttermilk website has a lady named Esther as a contact so I spoke with her on Instagram and she says she has nothing to do with Sam or his business and won't provide any help. It's been a week with no shipping info or response so I've opened a PayPal dispute.

Sam hasn't answered any emails, phone calls or messages here or on any media. The buttermilk website has a lady named Esther as a contact so I spoke with her on Instagram and she says she has nothing to do with Sam or his business and won't provide any help. It's been a week with no shipping info or response so I've opened a PayPal dispute.

That escalated quickly... Considering how long you have to post a dispute, one would think you'd at least wait another week or so.

That escalated quickly... Considering how long you have to post a dispute, one would think you'd at least wait another week or so.

I'm a military member and dad of 3 boys. Don't have a ton of cash in the first place and having $418 USD ($600 CAD) tied up for 180 days is a big deal to me. Was hoping to buy a knife for my upcoming birthday. All he has to do to resolve the PayPal dispute is provide tracking.

With all the respect I have for Sam, I think there is little point in waiting longer. He has obviously issues to deal with, but apper to have noboby to even ship the items that he has in his online store. Even if he does not have the time to reply all emails and questions in a timely manner, (that is not that uncommon after all) I would still expect that an ordered item will be eitgher shipped in a day or 2 after the payment, or a message will come with an apology and a reason why the item has not been shipped, or at least a message on the webpage that would state that order will be shipped after the date XY (something along the lines how Maxim often handles the situation when he is away).

And I would not consider it an escalation - PayPal will simply reverse the payment and there is no additional hurdle for Sam.

Sam isn't responding to any communication from myself or from PayPal. I was really hoping to have this knife but I'm just hoping to get my cash back at this point.

Sam isn't responding to any communication from myself or from PayPal. I was really hoping to have this knife but I'm just hoping to get my cash back at this point.

Well...sorry to hear that. I'm surprised this happened the way it did. Thanks for sharing with everyone on the forum, information like this is worth having available for others who might be considering ordering from him. PayPal freezes his account whenever an investigation is opened-it seems like he would want to settle the matter quickly as a frozen PayPal account can't be good for business.

This is really odd.... isn't Esther his wife?

Sad to see the situation going south. Had great hopes for this newish vendor. Ordered once from him, shipped fast, with a handwritten note.... like, a full page, not two lines.

He hasn't been active on any channel for something like a year, something is off for sure.

Well, let's hope he's ok!

I previously had some very good interactions and sales from Sam. I'm sorry to hear that things have changed. I think no response in a week with multiple contact attempts through a variety of methods is enough to move on and try to get a refund, or the ordered product shipped.
If the webstore isn't a good way to order, it wouldn't be that hard to put a big update on it, or disable the order function.
I was excited when Buttermilk started up, I was hoping it was going to be a good option with some interesting offerings.

I hear everyone! I'd much rather have the shigehiro than have my money back but it just doesn't look like it's going to work out that way.

Did he give an explanation? I'm eyeing off those Shigehiro's...

Sam said he's been gone for 10 days and was extremely apologetic for the fact he was unable to conduct business. All he said was family emergency. I'm super relieved.

Back