Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Stir Fry" question.

Every time I make stirfry it gets a tsp of ketchup.
    Blue skies over bad lands

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    some great mentions.

and one mention of corn starch. corn starch for sure. you need the sauce to stick to your food..which means you need to make it less salty than you imagine because it is sticking to your food.

i'm a black bean fanatic..i have two versions, the hard salty cantonese one and the can soupier, sweeter taiwanese version.
    Forgot the corn starch for sure.

@spoiledbroth which is a shortcut for adding tomato paste (which makes sense in some stir fry sauces), syrup and vinegar.

Oh, and by the time you figured out how much thickening is best with which sauce/ingredient combination, stop considering yourself a beginner Hints: the finer the ingredient cuts, the more you need to be wary of overthickening. Same if you have a sauce that should have an oil mirror (easy to destroy with too much thickener). Same if there are fine noodles. Same if there is coconut milk involved (too much cornstarch and you really get a gloop).

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    some great mentions.

and one mention of corn starch. corn starch for sure. you need the sauce to stick to your food..which means you need to make it less salty than you imagine because it is sticking to your food.

i'm a black bean fanatic..i have two versions, the hard salty cantonese one and the can soupier, sweeter taiwanese version.
    Thats why i coat my protein with flour before sauteing

To thicken the sauce or give the sauce something to stick to? I could never figure out that protein dredge in flour ... Like in a stew. lazy man's roux ?
    Blue skies over bad lands

I prefer tapioca over corn starch for thickening and frying
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Black Vinegar, soy, ginger, garlic, honey, fresh toasted and ground szechuan pepper, handful of fresh basil is the most popular sauce at my restaurant. Its thickened ahead of time with xanthan but could be made more traditional with corn starch

Quote Originally Posted by spoiledbroth View Post
    To thicken the sauce or give the sauce something to stick to? I could never figure out that protein dredge in flour ... Like in a stew. lazy man's roux ?
    makes the sauce stick more

Quote Originally Posted by cheflivengood View Post
    Black Vinegar, soy, ginger, garlic, honey, fresh toasted and ground szechuan pepper, handful of fresh basil is the most popular sauce at my restaurant. Its thickened ahead of time with xanthan but could be made more traditional with corn starch
    Sichuan pepper, I haven't found many Americans that like 'hot and numb" as part of their flavorings. That was one things I learned in Chengdu I had to save for nights when I was cooking alone.

Cashew (not the lacquer lol) can also work the thicken sauces