Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Stir Fry" question.

I have seen some recipes that recommend actually making a stock of the usual aromatics (scallion, ginger, garlic) and using that as a sauce base together with the usual addins... haven't gotten around to trying....

@Noodle Soup now I'm super envious (about the Chengdu training)...

@aboynamedsuita isn't that more suitable to something like a Jalfrezi (which, of course, is a stirfry) than chinese-american?

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    Sichuan pepper, I haven't found many Americans that like 'hot and numb" as part of their flavorings. That was one things I learned in Chengdu I had to save for nights when I was cooking alone.
    I can buy it in 3 grades, I buy the medium. I let it steep in the sauce then strain it through a chinois, the finest particles make it through, the bigger pieces don't, and it gets plenty of the flavor. I wasn't told once when they brought the top grade and it was used, some of the guests were indeed alarmed from the overwhelming salivation.

And be careful with commercial made "prickly oil", that stuff is, for some reason, far more potent than just frying up some szichuan pepper in oil yourself....

Quote Originally Posted by LifeByA1000Cuts View Post
    I have seen some recipes that recommend actually making a stock of the usual aromatics (scallion, ginger, garlic) and using that as a sauce base together with the usual addins... haven't gotten around to trying....

@Noodle Soup now I'm super envious (about the Chengdu training)...

@aboynamedsuita isn't that more suitable to something like a Jalfrezi (which, of course, is a stirfry) than chinese-american?
    I'm a true disciple of Fuchsia. My instructor over there thought I was nuts when I insisted I wanted to see the huge sharpening stone in the school courtyard she used when she was a student.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle Soup View Post
    Sichuan pepper, I haven't found many Americans that like 'hot and numb" as part of their flavorings. That was one things I learned in Chengdu I had to save for nights when I was cooking alone.
    I love the slightly tingly taste.
    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

@Evilsports seriously, try drypot.