Question about Damascus on masakage kiri knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johndavid

Reaction score
I'm curious, is the Damascus finish on the masakage kiri from the folding of steel or is it from a chemical etching? The pictures of the spine and choil don't appear to show multiple layers of steel.

From Knifewear site: 49 layer nickel damascus.

Isn't even "proper" damascus cladding etched, with chemicals even, to improve the visual finish?

Isn't even "proper" damascus cladding etched, with chemicals even, to improve the visual finish?

The contrast can be increased by chemical etching or by the use of finger stones. Finger stones give a subtle, muted finish (for example, a Shigefusa kitaeji or Watanabe kintaro-ame). From its appearance, the Masakage Kiri is likely etched, and then polished.

Thank you for confirming

The contrast can be increased by chemical etching or by the use of finger stones. Finger stones give a subtle, muted finish (for example, a Shigefusa kitaeji or Watanabe kintaro-ame). From its appearance, the Masakage Kiri is likely etched, and then polished.

But a good knife none the less, right?

I like mine but I don't have the experience others here have :spin chair:
I wanted something SS when I bought it and this was beautiful, at a good price point and it just felt great in my hand and when I tried it alongside others at Knifewear.
Mine is a santoku and though it's too short for many tasks it cuts pretty well. One thing to add is that IMO it doesn't retain the edge too long but that could be an issue of my ineptitude as sharpener. OOTB edge was good but didn't last incredibly long at that level.

And even here, it seems unclear if the damascus is workshop-made or industrial?

Back