• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Jnats- Suitas + Ikarashi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm letting go of some jnats today, including one or two of my favorites. The wife says the stone per sq.ft ratio of our apartment has hit critical mass. (And she doesn't even know about the one in the mail...:)) Life is pretty busy at the moment and I'd rather not have to deal with international shipping, so for the time being I will only ship US. Shipping will be $10 a stone and I'll cover any remainder.

Feel free to PM with any questions.

Ohira suita, w/black renge, 153x83x 43mm.1367 grams. This one is an average hardness for suita, but within that spectrum, I'd say it leans more to the softer side of things. A good width and thickness, this stone cuts quickly and gives nice smooth feedback. The Watanabe ohira suita below is my favorite for its speed, but this one is a close second. The black renge is really quite pretty, almost watercolor-esque. Asking $350+shipping.

Ohira suita, 204x74x32mm, 1170grams. Hardness 7/10. Got this stone from Watanabe and its probably my favorite to use! Feels pretty soft for a suita and its the fastest cutting of my ohiras. If it wasn't for the lines, I think this would have been much more expensive. As it is, you can see in the picture that there are lines. They can sometimes be felt very slightly during sharpening but I have not noticed them scratching or affecting the finish in any way. Please note the small crack on the bottom right hand side that occurred during shipping from Japan, about a quarter way up form the top. Its practically hairline and shallow but I feel I should point it out nonetheless.(See 3rd photo) There is also some pink renge visible in the sides and on the bottom. Asking $450+shipping.

Okudono Suita Koppa, 136x76x29, Med-Hard, 715 grams. Got this from Jon. A very pleasant stone to work, fast cutting and almost buttery smooth feedback. I'll link to Jon's description since his info was spot on. https://www.japaneseknifeimports.co...i-natural-stones/products/okudono-suita-koppa. His photos are better than mine is. Please note in the image below, the stone has a little bit of dried mud on it thus the slightly murky surface coloring. All in all, a good stone at a good price for anyone wishing to try a suita without breaking the bank. Asking $145+shipping.

Vintage Ikarashi, 170x74x45, 1200g, Hardness 5/10. Another Watanabe stone, I bought this off a forum member a while back. A very useful stone, fast cutting with good shaping power. Finishes finer than many medium stones, especially with mud refinement. I've included a screenshot of Watanabe's description. Asking $350+shipping.

Shot of them all together:

Beauties!! GLWS, there's some lovely stuff to be had there's

Sorry for my silence folks, been crazy busy recently. Few changes inbound:

-Watanabe ohira suita WITHDRAWN
-Ohira Suita w/ black renge price drop to $325 (For all who asked, you cannot feel the lines at all, its a very clean stone.)
-Okudono suita price drop to $130 (free shipping)
-International buyers welcome, but buyer pays all shipping.

I'm about to go to work, but I have another ohira aka renge suita I'm considering selling in place of the one I'm withdrawing. Off the top of my head I think its about 205x75x29. PM with any interest or picture requests and I'll get back to you later on.

Cheers!

The suita I hadn't gotten around to posting is sold.

Final price drop before these two go back in my collection:
Ohira Suita- $315+shipping fee
Okudono suita- $120 w/free shipping

Both for $425+shipping fee for both. I might also consider trade offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back