Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Supplemental Jnat finisher

As others have said, Hakka, Takashima, Hideriyama. I would say a JNS 2.5 would be perfect. The Hakka will likely be muddier than the other two. I have the Takashima that Maksim used to finish a Mukimono in one of his videos. It is very refined without being glassy.
    I would also suggest an Aiiwatani Koppa at a JNS 3.0 or even 2.5. I have a 3.0 and it is noticeably harder than my other 2.5 stones. I would liken it to a razor pre-finisher, though I do not use a straight.
    The best alternative in an all in one would be an Ohira Suita JNS 3.5. Hard, fast, not glassy, amazing. These are getting up in dollars but I suggest replace two stones in a progression, and are worth it.

You've opened the can now ...

Quote Originally Posted by foody518 View Post
    Hmmm alrighty, thanks tgfencer. The difference for me on mud generated from wide bevel vs not has been huge. Part of that probably also goes back to pressure used - on these prefinisher/softer finisher level stones, have been working to keep the pressure light since the bevel has already been set, and hard pressure with a slightly too high angle killing my edge is no fun. I'll try a knife on my Oouchi and get a picture soon

OP- have you considered Khao Men?
    I would say to go with the Khao Men too.

fit in between the Ikarashi and Shoubandi

I personally fine mine to be not very muddy at all as compared to my hakka or hideriyama but yet is still fine enough.

best part is that it's so cheap, wouldn't hurt trying it out

Quote Originally Posted by ynot1985 View Post
    I would say to go with the Khao Men too.

fit in between the Ikarashi and Shoubandi

I personally fine mine to be not very muddy at all as compared to my hakka or hideriyama but yet is still fine enough.

best part is that it's so cheap, wouldn't hurt trying it out
    From what I am reading I am unsure of how these will differ from the Tsushima that I have now. They seem to finish and function about the same, at least from the few videos and testimony I have been able to find. Any reason to own both?

Quote Originally Posted by K813zra View Post
    From what I am reading I am unsure of how these will differ from the Tsushima that I have now. They seem to finish and function about the same, at least from the few videos and testimony I have been able to find. Any reason to own both?
    I don't own the Tsushima so I cant comment on this.. need some one with both to answer this.. I think Otto (Badgertooth) has both

I don't own the Tsushima so I cant comment on this.. need some one with both to answer this.. I think Otto (Badgertooth) has both
    Guess I will have to see if one of the guys who owns both will chime in. The fellow that sells them compares them direct to Tsushima. In use they seem to have slightly darker mud and produce more of it. Was thinking of something finer. Seems I will have to be more flexible.

I could live with the edge off of my Tsushima without an issue but then I don't get a new stone.

Guess I will have to see if one of the guys who owns both will chime in. The fellow that sells them compares them direct to Tsushima. In use they seem to have slightly darker mud and produce more of it. Was thinking of something finer. Seems I will have to be more flexible.

I could live with the edge off of my Tsushima without an issue but then I don't get a new stone.
    I guess my time to edit the post is up so I guess I will have to quote myself.

I found Badgers review and it seems that the stone is less like Tsushima than what I first gathered. Seems to be a wee bit finer and softer and loads muddier. That is a killer for me. But I will read the rest of the thread before I say that its out. Maybe I am looking for a white whale.

I found Badgers review and it seems that the stone is less like Tsushima than what I first gathered. Seems to be a wee bit finer and softer and loads muddier. That is a killer for me. But I will read the rest of the thread before I say that its out. Maybe I am looking for a white whale.
    I guess the level of muddiness like hardness is a very subjective area.
    What I preceived to be not a lot of mud may be perceived by others to be plenty and vice versa.
    it's really hard to tell unless you actually test the stones at a shop/store and but I think it's too hard to fit the requirements by just buying blindly online

If you are sharpening on narrow bevels you will not kick up anything like a thick mud without a nagura. It feels to me like 3-5k (maybe slightly pushing 5k). I don't know if for example I'd go from a Binsui to an Oouchi though, so I thought about Khao Men or something like it to bridge the gap.

I guess the level of muddiness like hardness is a very subjective area.
    What I preceived to be not a lot of mud may be perceived by others to be plenty and vice versa.
    it's really hard to tell unless you actually test the stones at a shop/store and but I think it's too hard to fit the requirements by just buying blindly online
    Yeah, I figured. Going to a shop to test out a natural is not something that I can do, sadly. Seems I will have to stay on the harder side to get what I am after. I think I am just going to have to get an Ohira Suita and test that out and if it is harder than I like try something softer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mute-on View Post
    As others have said, Hakka, Takashima, Hideriyama. I would say a JNS 2.5 would be perfect. The Hakka will likely be muddier than the other two. I have the Takashima that Maksim used to finish a Mukimono in one of his videos. It is very refined without being glassy.
    I would also suggest an Aiiwatani Koppa at a JNS 3.0 or even 2.5. I have a 3.0 and it is noticeably harder than my other 2.5 stones. I would liken it to a razor pre-finisher, though I do not use a straight.
    The best alternative in an all in one would be an Ohira Suita JNS 3.5. Hard, fast, not glassy, amazing. These are getting up in dollars but I suggest replace two stones in a progression, and are worth it.

You've opened the can now ...
    Do you feel the Ohira Suita can completely bridge the gap from something like Binsui?