Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what is your standard cooking oil?

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    For cooking fat, 99% of the time I use duck fat.
    My new hero

Coconut oil is kind of special - solid at room temp, and comes in two very different kinds, and hell expensive. Love it as a tadka oil (instead of ghee).

Peanut as the one go-to oil - €5 a liter, super heat stable and *does not degrade to something completely unpalatable if overheated*. Rice oil as an alternative if there is somebody around that even claims to possible be sensitive to peanuts.

Cheap canola/sunflower oil and/or Alsan Bio (a german brand of quality margarine, probably like Earth Balance in the US) for baking.

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    For cooking fat, 99% of the time I use duck fat.

But when I use oil, it's mainly olive oil in combination with butter. I only really ever use neutral oil for deep frying and then it's either rapeseed or sunflower.
    On one of my trips to China, we spent about half a day killing and rendering oil from a duck. And then we cooked everything the rest of the day in that oil. And that was the one day I got "sick" in China so I've been kind of shy about duck oil since then.

Honest question, wasn't canola designed for internal combustion engines or is it a street myth?

I personally use sunflower 90% of the time for pan cooking, olive oil if it has Italian roots, butter for decadence and extra virgin olive oil for dressings.

I use sunflower because that's what my mom used to use, so I'm happy to learn if there's a better option for high temp pan use..

The canola plant, IIRC, was cultivated from a rapeseed variety that yielded an oil that wasn't very healthy to consume due to very high erucic acid content (like mustard oil, which also is not considered healthy in the west if consumed in quantity), and was indeed used for non-food purposes.

Canola/sunflower stuff is rich in PUFA - healthy but burns the easiest, so unlikely to END UP healthy if heated severely - you could be better off with an intact monounsaturate or saturate than with the ashes of a polyunsaturate. Let's mention the topic of O3/O6 PUFA ratios once but NOT start a health discussion

Quote Originally Posted by LifeByA1000Cuts View Post

Canola/sunflower stuff is rich in PUFA - healthy but burns the easiest, so unlikely to END UP healthy if heated severely - you could be better off with an intact monounsaturate or saturate than with the ashes of a polyunsaturate. Let's mention the topic of O3/O6 PUFA ratios once but NOT start a health discussion
    Any layman recommendations to replace the sunflower? I do most of my cooking on carbon steel and cast iron, high temp sears then to the oven...

Not really sure if I should add some salt to that puffa!

Thanks!

I also avoid using PUFA in high temp cooking. It oxidises readily at high temp. Oxidised fats are not good for you. MUFA is harder to oxidise. SFA are harder again. FWIW, trans fats oxidise even more easily, which is probably why they are so dangerous.

Sunflower is mostly PUFA (unless it's the variety developed in Russia, I think, that is entirely MUFA and is often used to fry potato chips).
    Canola is about 60% MUFA and 30% PUFA IIRC.

I use various fats for different things.
    Olive oil is great in salads and for low temp frying.
    Macadamia oil also good in salads and has a higher smoke point, so works for medium temp frying. I sometimes use instead of peanut oil because it has a mild nutty flavour but it's almost 100% MUFA.
    Avocado oil is similar but has a slightly stronger flavour (Avocado is about 5-10% PUFA IIRC)
    Coconut oil works well for higher temp frying. I use it a lot in stir fry.
    Ghee/ clarified butter is good for high temp frying.
    Butter is good because it tastes great. Burns easlily though (sometimes this is desirable).
    Rice bran oil is IMO good for seasoning pans (high smoke point). It has a mixture of MUFA and PUFA. I occasionally use it for high temp frying but I do worry about oxidising the PUFA.
    Looking for a signature that won't land me in trouble

I use EVOO the majority of the time. I like using coconut oil when sauteing shrimp and mild flavored fish. I use to use butter, but that was 150 lbs ago.

Also, don't confuse the smoke point with the point at which fats oxidise.

The smoke point is generally governed by the type and amount of impurities in the oil. Eg: virgin olive oil will smoke at a lower temp than refined olive oils, but both are mostly MUFA.
    Looking for a signature that won't land me in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Also, don't confuse the smoke point with the point at which fats oxidise.

The smoke point is generally governed by the type and amount of impurities in the oil. Eg: virgin olive oil will smoke at a lower temp than refined olive oils, but both are mostly MUFA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    I also avoid using PUFA in high temp cooking. It oxidises readily at high temp. Oxidised fats are not good for you. MUFA is harder to oxidise. SFA are harder again. FWIW, trans fats oxidise even more easily, which is probably why they are so dangerous.

Sunflower is mostly PUFA (unless it's the variety developed in Russia, I think, that is entirely MUFA and is often used to fry potato chips).
    Canola is about 60% MUFA and 30% PUFA IIRC.

I use various fats for different things.
    Olive oil is great in salads and for low temp frying.
    Macadamia oil also good in salads and has a higher smoke point, so works for medium temp frying. I sometimes use instead of peanut oil because it has a mild nutty flavour but it's almost 100% MUFA.
    Avocado oil is similar but has a slightly stronger flavour (Avocado is about 5-10% PUFA IIRC)
    Coconut oil works well for higher temp frying. I use it a lot in stir fry.
    Ghee/ clarified butter is good for high temp frying.
    Butter is good because it tastes great. Burns easlily though (sometimes this is desirable).
    Rice bran oil is IMO good for seasoning pans (high smoke point). It has a mixture of MUFA and PUFA. I occasionally use it for high temp frying but I do worry about oxidising the PUFA.
    Wow. I'm even more perplexed now. Even less sure what to use now. Is there a pdf or a website that explains all of this?

Thanks